xp random freezes

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkolk

In Runtime
So about a month ago i had windows vista ultimate installed, and i would get random freezing while on the desktop or surfing the internet, would just lock up and have to hard reboot. I thought this was an issue with vista and 8800gt drivers so i uninstalled vista, installed windows xp. It worked for a couple weeks no problems, but now i cant leave my computer at desktop without it freezing. It most commonly freezes a couple minutes after startup, or if i leave it on overnight it will freeze sometime during the night.
Now if i start running a game i've never had it freeze on me, only on desktop/internet.

I just updated my gfx driver to the 180.48 i think it was, freeze still occurred.
specs in sig.

Okay have you done any troubleshooting to see if you can find the source?

Have you run RivaTuner or ATiTool to check our GPU temps? Have you run CoreTemp or RealTemp to find out CPU temps? Have you run any hard drive diagnostics to see if your hard drives are okay and operating within normal temp range?

I know it's a bore but you got all the latest hotfixes, updates e.t.c ?
I'm going software since it's not crashing on games.

Check MSCONFIG, you sound like a techy guy so give the startup tab a quick onceover, check for anything dogey ;)

Also, what borwser are you using / is it updated?

Cheers,

~ Tkey

My temps are fine, again its fine once its in game, not idle. I havnt done a hdd check, is seatool the program for that?
Using mozilla firefox, latest version.
I have cleared msconfig of anything thats not critical to windows or i want starting up.

I guess a couple things i could try later tonight when i get home, is disabling CE1/EIST for the cpu. Pulling out one of the ram sticks, and disabling the dynamic energy saver on the mobo.

I'll leave it on again over night after doing that and see what happens. I'll have nothing running, no aim, no browser, nothing.

disabling CE1/EIST, mobo energy saver didnt work. One stick of ram didnt work.

If i uninstall the nvidia driver i wont get freezes. After uninstalling the driver, and installing the driver off the CD the gfx card came with it worked for about 24hrs until i rebooted to plug back in one of the HDD's i disconnected. Then the problem arose again.
And no its not the HDD, the problem persisted when the HDD was disconnected b4 i uninstalled the driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom