333mhz to 400. Worth it for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadley

In Runtime
Hiya,

How much of a performance diff will upgrading to a XP3200+ 400 fsb and pc 3200 Ram have over my current cpu/ram which is 333mhz?
I'm not talking right now as prices are still too high, maybe in 6 months or so.
Thing is i like to squeeze as much out of my pc's before changing the mainboard and the xp3200+ is as far as i can go on this one.

Cheers!

There will be a noticable difference, but nothing too spectacular.

Yeah, won't be a huge jump, but the prices on Athlon XP's are getting so cheap it should be worth it;)

what about lowering the multiplier of the CPU and raising the frontside bus to 200 so that you can have PC3200 ram without changing out your processor =) Believe your multi will be locked though, but overclocking could always be a possibility :D

Yea i'm hoping that the prices will keep dropping enuff to warrant it later. I'm glad i'll see a diff although i wasn't quite hoping of an extra 5000 in 3dmark03 :p

I don't really wanna overclock my 3000, shes running a little hot at the mo till i get some decent cooling in there over the weekend.
Also i have no cash for pc3200 ram at the mo either after getting a new graphics card last week.

Anyway i'm not desperate for upgrading yet, it's just that i like to plan a little bit ahead:D

Cheers 4 replies

what kind of temps? I'm not overclocking or anything and with stock HSF and generic crappy compound I'm at 54C right now at idle =/

Mines been on all night d/l and just looked now and it's 49.
It's not the idle i'm worried about tho as the temp rises to around 65 after a session on doom3 or farcry.

My case doesnt have a fan (doh!) so hopefully getting a decent one 2mo will help!

if you have a Barton core CPU, you will not be able to change the multiplier
you won't be able to utilize the full 400MHZ of RAM without the CPU's FSB being at 400MHZ, as 333MHZ will be bottlenecking it
if you want 400MHZ RAM, you will either need to overclock the FSB of your 3000+, or upgrade to the 3200+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom