Will this work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jojojamo

Solid State Member
Hey guys, I'm a first time PC builder here and I'm trying to put together a high-performance gaming rig. I followed an online guide to get a general feel for what's compatible with what, but before I make any purchases, I'd really like someone more experienced to check my work and offer any input. Here's the stuff I plan on ordering from newegg:

1. CASING: RAIDMAX SMILODON Extreme Black ATX-612WEBP 1.0mm SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Foldout MB Computer Case With 500W Power

2. VIDEO: BFG Tech BFGE98512GTXOCE GeForce 9800 GTX 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

3. PCU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor

4. MOBO: ASUS Maximus II Formula LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard

5. RAM (x2): Crucial Ballistix 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory

So ... would this be a good setup? And, more importantly, will it all work?
One of my main concerns is the wattage - the tower comes with several built in fans and a 500W power source. Will this support the hardware?

Anyway, any help anyone could give me would be really, really great. Thanks.

Everything looks okay, but you may want to invest in a better case (better airflow) and you will probably need a higher wattage power supply.

Good call... forgot to add the HDD and dvdrw drive:

- Seagate SV35.3 ST3500320SV 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

-LG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache IDE 22X DVD±R DVD Burner - OEM

As far as budget goes, I think that what I had originally picked out was going to run at around $617. I'd like to keep it under $700 if possible (though this is entirely dependent on whether or not I get the listed open box MOBO, which is 1/2 off ).

To be more specific, the case I had looked at was about $94. I'd be pretty comfortable spending $150 on a better case.

But, in general, I want this computer to last a long time (upgrading as I go), so it's more important to me that I get something that works properly - while still keeping a reasonable budget in mind.

Well...I put a computer together for my cousin using this case and it works great.

Newegg.com - Antec P182 Gun Metal Black 0.8mm cold rolled steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

This case doensn't come with a power supply so the following would work well for you.

Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

The total on these comes to about $260, but will definitely allow for some upgrade.

Does this case come with included network or audio cards? It doesn't seem to say under the specs, which leads me to believe it doesn't. The case + power supply combo is boosting my budget higher than I had originally intended, but having to also buy the sound and network cards will bring it up even higher (I know they aren't that expensive, but every little bit adds up).

I hate to sound nitpicky and I really appreciate the help, but do you have any ideas on a get-the-job done combo case with included audio, network, and power supply? Or one that includes audio and networking + a slightly cheaper power supply? Basically something that will fit all of the equipment, power it, and keep it at a safe temperature. I can always upgrade these peripherals later.

Also, for the sake of education, what kind of Wattage should I aim for in a power supply and how does one reach this figure?

Thanks again.

Actually - my mistake. I just realized that the MOBO is what I was thinking about with the included LAN and Sound cards. Heh, I'm obviously pretty new at this, I'm getting the components mixed up in my head.

So that simplifies my previous question... how about a slightly cheaper power supply? That would square things away pretty well.

Yea, the motherboard is the "all-in-one" so you should be fine there.

This power supply is a pretty good deal right now. I really wouldn't go less than 650W, especially if you want to add more hard drives or components eventually. I have a Cooler Master PSU and it's been a really good unit.

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Real Power Pro RS-650-ACAA-A1 650W ATX Form Factor 12V V2.3 / SSI Standard EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom