PC Crashing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry about the other thread.

I scanned the hd with the SeaTools and I passed the test...

So I'm guessing there is nothing wrong with my hd?

Idk if this will help but I get errors when I boot up such as "A Disk read error occured. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart."

I have a G5PC-MX/1333 mobo and I didn't do anything to my hard drive except plug it in and use it. Am I suppose to set any changes in the BIOS?

Also, when I tried to install windows xp, I get a choice of where I want to install it into. Well I only get once choice but when I choose it, it tells me that there is already something installed there.

That is because you need to format the drive first and then install XP. In the drive selection stage press D to delete the partition. Say that you are sure you want to. The next screen will take you back to the selection page and press C to create a new partition. Then install XP on the new partition. Select "Format using NTFS" not the quick option to ensure your drive is in fact good to install XP.

That is because you need to format the drive first and then install XP. In the drive selection stage press D to delete the partition. Say that you are sure you want to. The next screen will take you back to the selection page and press C to create a new partition. Then install XP on the new partition. Select "Format using NTFS" not the quick option to ensure your drive is in fact good to install XP.

Did that and I still get the same error.

"A disk read error occured. Please press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart."

If your RAM and hard drive are okay then the next thing would be your motherboard. Unfortunately motherboards have no testing methods to see if it is bad or not.

My hard drive shows up as the third master in the bios. My CD is the first master.

I checked the other computers and all the cds were first and hd were 2nd or 3rd

Can this be the case?

SATA doesn't work like IDE does. All SATA drives are shown as master and it doesn't matter which number is which.

Well I think I got my computer to work but the only thing is that my 500gb hard drive only shows up as 30gb in windows...

check it disk management you may have a 30gb partition and the remainder unallocated. If this is the case you can make it an active partition and format it for use as a data drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom