Cannot access My Documents and Windows dir. on a slaved HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToxicBug

Baseband Member
I've slaved a hdd with winxp on it on another winxp computer and I cannot access these directories to backup them. It gives me a I/O error... Is that some gay protection that M$ puts on their OS's in order to protect important data on a stolen hard drive?

Wait no...I think he's saying....youve got a HD with WinXP installed on it....you've made that one a slave to a hard drive that ALSO has winxp on it...and you want to get into the winXP loaded drive that you made as a slave? IF thats the case I don't think you can do that simply because its a different kind of partition thats made....I mean its made into the same NTFS file system and all, but its gotta either be a logical drive or data? I forget the two options, but I don't believe you can just slave a disk that has an OS on it and open it up.

yes you can..i had 5 windows versions on my comp a long time ago...you can open another partition as long as it starts after the partiotion you're currently working on...
other HD's can always be browsed.

the two types you mean are Primary and Logically...both can be browsed al long as they apply to the stuff i mentioned above

getting into a slave isn;t the problem, also

I think (after reading what you think ToxicBug means) the problem is: he cannot browse those folders because they are on an NTFS partition and his account is not allowed to browse the folders

correct me if im wrong or somthing

TheMajor said:
I think (after reading what you think ToxicBug means) the problem is: he cannot browse those folders because they are on an NTFS partition and his account is not allowed to browse the folders
I was thinking along the same lines. You can put security or even encrypt the contents of the drive, but I would think if your using the same account and passwrd to get at the drive, you should be able to access the contents. I know I have, but I don't go out of my way to put any secure safeguards on the drive.

What exactly does the I/O error say?

Aright thanks major...I wasn't 100% sure..a lot of people will say you can't just put a HD from one system into another but I did it the other night lol. Grandma had a 4 year old people pc built PC with a 10gb hard drive in it. She had intel celeron processor god knows what mobo and like a 230w PSU....was still able to put the hard drive in my computer and it booted up into win98 no problem...( was checking to see if my current HD was keeping my computer from booting....sure enough it was)

Thanks for the clarification though and yeah this is beyond what I know now...Sorry I can't help =(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom