core i7 does not display cpu speed in windows...why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rave_tech

In Runtime
i have set my BCLK to 163 which gives me a cpu speed of 3.2 ghz, suprisingly coming from a E6700 where everytime you increase 400 mhz temps and volts jump....at least 10 degrees....

not with this baby, temps jumped from 34C to 38C going from 2.66 to 3.2 LOL :D

only problem is in windows it keeps showing 2.79 ghz and not the 3.2 that i have it set to.

why is this? 3dmark06 shows the clock speed.....hmmmm....my customers computer always had vista show the proper speed....

kinda weird

have u used cpuz to confirm that your overclock is actually right or applied. well 20x163 is 3260mhz so you are right. not too sure why this could be happening. im guessing you did reinstall windows after you got your new system xd

have u used cpuz to confirm that your overclock is actually right or applied. well 20x163 is 3260mhz so you are right. not too sure why this could be happening. im guessing you did reinstall windows after you got your new system xd

yep, and its pretty quick, still a little confused on the why the raid manager takes a few to load but pretty good other than that..

i tried to load the ram to 1600 but it froze, so dropped it to stock 1333.....it was set to 1066 factory which is slower than the ram itself i was like woa...lol

still new to this i7 system.....

the cpuz shows the new clock but it changes where the display says core0 it will show the different multiplyers and speeds....

is this normal, and that i cant select core 2?

what is a better way of overclocking the i7?

BCLK or uncore x10 20 40 whatever ya know?

It probably wasn't set low by the factory but rather by your board... The current gen of I7 boards aren't very good overclockers there are voltage issues with ram modules (extreme generalisation I know).

Intel speedstep is probably changing the clock to conserve power ;)

yep.......i just ran 3dmark06 and here are the results:

3.8 ghz @ 1.37 volts 48 C at idle.......56 C at load....

bench results = 6409 3d marks (for just the cpu) cpu test 1 and 2....

if my temps stay good, does this seem ok voltage and cpu speed wise? the ram i have says 1.5-1.6 v ....i have it set to 1.5750 v......

i didnt realise how easy it was for the i7 to overclock.... :D:D:D

the **** E6700 conroe is like 70 C at 3.4 ghz lol

i7 is sooooo efficient! and thats on crappy stock cooler too...i bet i could hit 4.5 ghz @ 1.4 v @ 45 C with thermaltakes new 1366 cooler :drool:

but one quick question.....what is faster a QX9770 Xtreme STOCK, or my i7 920 3.8 ghz?

EDIT: this may or may not be news to you guys but i took a 500 mb file and used winrar to compress it to MAX compression.....

my conroe would have takin an hour i bet.....my i7 did it in 3.5 minutes!!! ****!

did i say this thing is hella fast?

EDIT 2: whats the most accurate windows program to monitor cpu temps? i tried speedfan, and it sucked.....i am using real temp right now but ts not too great either.....but better than speedfan...

The I7's are overclocking limited unless you get the ultimate you should only be able to get 3.6ghz-3.8ghz max. Cooling related with the E6700 you obviously had a crap case and cooling I have my E6600 at 3.6ghz atm and temps are 50 under load and that is with silent fans so low cfm.

The I7 is very good at Winrar and encoding with a 40% increase in performance its with simple tasks that it falls
Benchmarks--AVG And WinRAR - Tom's Hardware : UPDATE: Core i7: Blazing Fast, O/C Changes

you might find this useful
Intel Core i7-920 Processor BX80601920 | BX80601920,Core,i7-920,Intel Nehalem,CPU,Processor,Intel Core i7-920 Nehalem Processor BX80601920 Performance Benchmark CPU Test Review Article | Benchmark Reviews Performance Tests

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom