Problems with reformat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

phucng_10

Fully Optimized
Hey everyone, I just reformatted my computer and there has been some problems that are really bugging me. First of all, one of the few problems is my audio codec. I've installed my motherboard drivers, but I think it's old since there's a new BIOS update on the ECS site. My motherboard is an ECS P4M900T-M. Is it necessary to update my BIOS since it seems like I have a problem that is in that update?

Another problem is that, with this Windows XP Service Pack 2 that I obtained from a friend, has very limited options. There are no background pictures, nor is there mspaint.exe. No new taskbar. So currently my background is blue.

Also, problems with my internet connection where it jumps from 15x kb/s to about 5x kb/s. Before, all files that I have downloaded onto my computer would always be in the 15x kb/s range.

If anybody can help me on some of my problems, I would greatly appreciate it.

Hey everyone, I just reformatted my computer and there has been some problems that are really bugging me. First of all, one of the few problems is my audio codec. I've installed my motherboard drivers, but I think it's old since there's a new BIOS update on the ECS site. My motherboard is an ECS P4M900T-M. Is it necessary to update my BIOS since it seems like I have a problem that is in that update?
If there's something that can possibly be fixed from a BIOS update, then you should update it. Do you have your audio drivers installed?

Another problem is that, with this Windows XP Service Pack 2 that I obtained from a friend, has very limited options. There are no background pictures, nor is there mspaint.exe. No new taskbar. So currently my background is blue.
Was it a custom XP? It sounds like it most likely was...since that's the case, stuff was removed.

Also, problems with my internet connection where it jumps from 15x kb/s to about 5x kb/s. Before, all files that I have downloaded onto my computer would always be in the 15x kb/s range.
Got your NIC drivers installed? Could also be a result from using the custom/slimmed down XP disc you borrowed.

If there's something that can possibly be fixed from a BIOS update, then you should update it. Do you have your audio drivers installed?
This is one of the problems that will be solved in the new BIOS update: -Update Audio codec 1708A verb table for new driver. That does sound like a problem that can be related to the Audio right? If you also can, could you show me how to update my BIOS? Never done it so I don't want to mess around with whatever that doesn't need to be fixed.

Oh and yes I do have it installed, but it wasn't installed correctly. Near the end of the installation, a pop up said that ' We can't find HD audio device. '

Was it a custom XP? It sounds like it most likely was...since that's the case, stuff was removed.
Yes, I believe it was. But if you need more information about it, I'll PM you in that case.

Got your NIC drivers installed? Could also be a result from using the custom/slimmed down XP disc you borrowed.
Don't exactly know what this NIC driver is.

Answered in bold. Thanks for your help, carnage. :)

This is one of the problems that will be solved in the new BIOS update: -Update Audio codec 1708A verb table for new driver. That does sound like a problem that can be related to the Audio right? If you also can, could you show me how to update my BIOS? Never done it so I don't want to mess around with whatever that doesn't need to be fixed.
Very well could be. It depends on your board.

ECS New Technology - How to update it
ECS Web Site - Update page

Yes, I believe it was. But if you need more information about it, I'll PM you in that case.
That's probably the problem then. It was slimmed down to a "faster" version of XP.

Don't exactly know what this NIC driver is.
Network drivers.

Check the first link I showed you. It shows you step-by-step on how to do it in a PDF file ;).

Got the BIOS to update to the latest version with AFUWIN. Also, the download speeds are at a constant speed now. Thanks a lot carnage!

Now to try and get my audio codec to start working...

EDIT: The download speed is jumping again even though I just updated my NIC drivers... I don't know what is wrong...
EDIT2: I just noticed something. If I load a page with a picture or any other kind of things on that page, my speed drops down below 100kb/s. If I don't surf the web while downloading, it stays around 160kb/s. Weird...

EDIT2: I just noticed something. If I load a page with a picture or any other kind of things on that page, my speed drops down below 100kb/s. If I don't surf the web while downloading, it stays around 160kb/s. Weird...

That is because when you are downloading something, it is using a certain "socket" on the computer, which is a software address within TCP/IP (or some other protocol layer) for a given application. When you are browsing the web while downloading, these two ports are sharing bandwidth. That is why downloads will slow down when you load a new web page by clicking a link during that download.

For example, you are surfing the web on port 80, or if doing online transactions, port 443 (https, used for secure socket layer protocol transmission). The download is on another port, but sharing the same internet bandwidth between you and your router. Like two cars coming towards each other when one lane is closed - they slow down and share the one lane.

That is because when you are downloading something, it is using a certain "socket" on the computer, which is a software address within TCP/IP (or some other protocol layer) for a given application. When you are browsing the web while downloading, these two ports are sharing bandwidth. That is why downloads will slow down when you load a new web page by clicking a link during that download.

For example, you are surfing the web on port 80, or if doing online transactions, port 443 (https, used for secure socket layer protocol transmission). The download is on another port, but sharing the same internet bandwidth between you and your router. Like two cars coming towards each other when one lane is closed - they slow down and share the one lane.

That makes it more understandable. Well, the thing is that, some files that I have downloaded before, never went under 100kb/s when I'm not surfing the web, clicking a link, or loading a picture to photobucket. Now those files flicker between 100kb/s, goes down to about 30kb/s, and then jumps back up to 160kb/s.

It's not much of a bother to me, it's just weird since my fresh reformat. I just obtained another friends XP SP2 and I'll reformat it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom