Help check for compatibility on my computer build?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since you are in college, you may be able to get Vista through your college for a huge discount. You can probably get a lot of MS software that way.

If nothing else, you can get Server 2008 for free. CHeck here:
https://www.dreamspark.com/default.aspx

Lots of other free goodies, too.

Since you are in college.

Actually I wont be starting college until the fall term of 2009. I'm going to be doing computer science and learning programming, I hope, though I know many people change the direction of their career a lot in college.

Just a quick question, I need to pick out an OS.

I want to get a vista, and I need to be sure I get a 64 bit one so I can use all of my RAM. Should I get an OEM Premium so it is cheaper or just by the home edition which I think supports both 32 and 64 for the same price as the OEM premium which only supports one or the other?

I don't know much about OEMs, do you still get patches and stuff with that for free?

Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit English for System Builders 1pk DSP OEI DVD - Operating Systems

Yes OEMS get patches the catch is that you can only install it on one motherboard cpu combo although if you call them up (windows) they can be helpful and let you install it on more then one....... Students also get vista ultimate for a greatly reduced price I believe its about $70 for 64bit or as trotter stated free if you configure server 08 properly

Yes OEMS get patches the catch is that you can only install it on one motherboard cpu combo although if you call them up (windows) they can be helpful and let you install it on more then one....... Students also get vista ultimate for a greatly reduced price I believe its about $70 for 64bit or as trotter stated free if you configure server 08 properly

Oh wow, maybe then I will get the OEM for now, and when I am in college look into upgrading. For the cheaper price. The OEM should be fine for me until then.

You can't really sell an OEm second hand unless you find someone local who wants it most people want trust you as its easily torrentable and corrupted with viruses.

try server 08. it is 64bit and can be configured to look exactly like vista but not use as much resource.
i use it on both of my machines (probably will put it on the lappy in the near future as well) and i love it.
it is also free for trial for like 240 days if you re-arm it.

That cooling fan you told be about...am I supposed to hook it up to one of the three pin fan spots and just control it myself with the little thing I hooked up in the back? Because my manual says the CPU fan spot is a four pin while the one you recommended was a 3 pin.

also my optical drive...Newegg.com - LITE-ON Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 20X DVD±R DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners Do I need IDEE cables or is it sata only? Cause I can't figure out how to hook up IDEE too it, and I don't think it requires it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom