Need some holiday help. Budget Build.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crabnife

Solid State Member
I've been running around trying to find a Christmas present and I just found out she is really excited for Sims 3 and needs a new desktop. I don't keep up with hardware unless I am looking to build for myself. So I have been out of it for a while. I am trying to throw something together quickly so I can get it the way I want it by Christmas time.

I don't want to spend much over $500.

Any help from you guys would be massively appreciated.

Wow that was really fast. Thank you so much.

I was looking at the same HD and Video Card you recommended.

Admittedly, I don't know jack about Mother Boards. Is there a specific reason you picked that one? (I've always had to ask my brother what Mother Board to get when I made a build)

Also, any specific reason for that case? Or did you just pick one?

I chose that motherboard mainly due to its price, it has limited expansion options but it will get the job done.

I would agree with saltynay that if you can fit the extra expense of getting a Phenom then it is well worth it, because the SIMS are historically more CPU intensive.

The last thing I want to do is overclock her machine. I just want to slap it together, wrap it up, and have her plug it in on Christmas. No maintenance. Just happiness. haha

Why do you recommend the quad over the dual? I've heard quads are slower than dual when it comes to gaming.

Quads are not necessarily slower than duals in gaming, in fact quads are faster in some situations (made 3.2Ghz Intel Q6600 made the difference between playable and not playable against a 4.0Ghz Intel E8400 in Crysis - forgot what settings). But if it is a game optimized for multithreading, then a quad core is a wise purchase. Also, the quad core is a newer chip than the dual so your machine, thus theoretically faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom