CPU Clock and Ram wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

+Plus

Beta member
Hi,

I am having some interesting problems with my brand new i7 build. Specs below.

Intel(R) Core i7-965 Extreme Edition 3.2 GHz 8M L3 Cache LGA1366

EVGA X58 3X SLI Intel X58 Chipset SLI/CrossFireX Mainboard Triple-Channel DDR3/1600

6GB (2GBx3) DDR3/1600MHz Memory Module OCZ-Gold

Creative Labs X-FI XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro 24-BIT PCI Sound Card [+135]

2x NVIDIA GeForce GTX280 1GB 16X PCI Express

Windows Vista Home Basic 64-bit

The system is running at a clock speed lower than its stock 3.2ghz (this may be due to intel speedstep, butI don't know for sure and am looking for confirmation as the speed never steps up anywhere I can read it). System properties says it is a 3.2ghz processor but then says 2.65 beside that. 3dMark Vantage also said it was running at 2.7.

Also, the only place that shows I have 6gb of ram is System Properties. The task manager and 3dmark vantage all just show 2gb. I double checked the mobo to make sure it was all plugged in properly. It was all in place well and in the order on the board that was specified for 3 sticks of ram. I have attached screenshots to help you see what I am seeing. Needing some help/clarification on these issues as it may just be me not knowing something.

screenshot1.jpg

screenshot2.jpg

screenshot3.jpg

screenshot4.jpg

Hope someone knows what is up.

Thanks

Windows 32bit only reads a max of 3.5gb - the RAM from your video cards...

The other thing is probably also Speedstep, try running Prime95 with CPU-Z opened

I am using vista 64 bit. Heheh I been reading and knew of this issue (before I built this system) that is why I bolded 64bit in my original post. XD

I figure the other is speedstep but I am more concerned with the ram issue atm.

edit:

Much to my dismay I have now also learned speedstep was already disabled ... :(

Ok I fixed my clock speed issues. The bios had some bus values messed up. Just chasing the ram problem now.

Why did you go with the extreme edition you either had money to burn or a bench setting obsession but that doesn't tally with your choice of ram it is possible you hate money..... we could of saved you some bucks is all if you had let us review your build before getting it. Ram stick could be DOA or not setup properly in the bios review the settings there.

I would say ignorance coupled with money to burn. If I had a bench setting obsession I would probably know more and would have never thought I had a cpu clock speed issue XD. I am a noob and as you can see i am new to this community. I showed my prospective build to other people and their comment on the ram was overkill ... I dunno lol I just need help.

If the stick is DOA then I got 2 of 3 DOA sticks. Let me check more BIOS stuff but I really dont know what I am looking at.

Yeah, everhything is plugged right. I figured it out. This system I had built for me actually. I am a noob so I do that to ENSURE compatibilty problems dont happen when i build with new architecture. They built my system with normal dual channel 1.9 volt ram ... even i knew what kind of ram the x58 board need BEFORE i made the build. So I check the system configurator. DOesnt get that specific just says ocz gold 1600mb 3x2gb 6b ram. They don't even offer it as an option!! So I have talked to them. They are going to probably have to get me to mail them the ram and refund my money. Then I will buy the right kind myself. ... did they just negate the whole reason anyone, tech saavy or not(me being the not), would pay extra to have their hardware options given to them to pick from and then built? I think they did ...

have you tried switching to the other 3 channels of ram slots??

core i7's must have it placed in the right slot for tri channel or else it does not run properly... so try changing the slots to the other 3

as for the clock speeds... check ur bios, and ensure turbo mode is on... also turn off certain features like speedstep

everything looks good to me, i think vantage reads the qpi clock or something, mine also says 2.7GHz, as for the RAM, if you scroll down, it'll alternate, 2/0/2/0/2/0, which means you have 2GB of memory installed in every other slot.

edit: looks like you figured out the ram stuff, see if you can lower the voltage, loosen timings and get it to run at 1.65V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom