Help with E6700 on 680i board, please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rave_tech

In Runtime
i have an e6700 conroe, with 680i evga board. it has phoneix bios...

this cpu got 2305 in 3dmark06.....stock..

well when i set the FSB to 400(minimum) the 10x multiplyer should make it 4.0 ghz, well it doesnt....its like 1066 mhz!

so i tried leaving everything stock, except, the FSB which i pulled to 1333 mhz which rose the clock to 3.4 ghz....

ran intel burn and it was stable.....ran 3dmark06 and got 1650!!

its benching slower! i need help pleaaassseeee!!!! :confused::eek:

EDIT: i have flashed the bios with the newest one which is the the september 2008 one.....

I don't think 4.0GHz is a regular achievement on a E6700, 1066mhz is the stock bus spedd that it comes with. Your OC isn't stable if it scored lower.

I don't think 4.0GHz is a regular achievement on a E6700, 1066mhz is the stock bus spedd that it comes with. Your OC isn't stable if it scored lower.

even with 1333 fsb and stock 667 mhz memory, i was at 3.3 ghz and then lowered it to 2.9 and it still slower :confused:

EDIT: this is the customers computer i am building.....i have a core i7 i will need help with in a few days :drool:

ok, well the processor in vista index experince was a 5.4 and it jumped to a 5.8, i was at 3.45 ghz, and voltage on auto, it was a little sluggish so i turned it down to 3.25 ghz, which the FSB is now 1320 mhz.....

but the ram timing keeps going to 5-5-5-15, i tried lowering it to 5-5-5-9 it the memory performance increased slightly, its 667 mhz overclocked to 800 mhz......

what else can i do?

vista index means nothing... ignore it completely!!

at 800MHz, a tRAS of 9 is gonna get you lots of data corruption (because you've got 5-5-5 as well)... try changing your basic timings to 4-4-4-12 (pretty standard for PC2-6400)...

also, it sounds like your sub timings are whacking out on you... boot at the point where you got the best memory performance and check the timings with Memset (Tweakers.fr)... then you can set these in the BIOS (tWR, tWTR and tRTP tend to increase from their BIOS values by 7, 5, and 2 respectively, so check them again when you startup)

NEW EDIT 3 AM: well i guess good news, i switched the ram from where it was in the dimm slot to the other matching color, and ram performance jumped like crazy.....cpu was at 23-2500 from 2.66 ghz - 3.2 ghz..

as soon as i set memory timing to 4-4-4-12 and set linked and sync to 1440 FSB it left the memory at 706 mhz and i got 2870 in cpu in 3dmark06 so thats 400 points :D

how trustworth is "hot cpu tester"? it wanted to run for 8 hours, i let it run for 20 minutes and each test ran 4 times and no problems......

cpu is sitting around 58-61 degrees at a good load, and the voltage is 1.39 v.....ram is 1.9 v ....... the intel burn says it fails before it even does anything but the other programs say pass......so i dont know....

i am at 3.599 ghz right now, pretty much 3.6 and i think thats far enough with it, maybe back it down to 3.45 or something....what do you guys think?

also at any cpu usage i can hear the hiss coming from the cpu itself like ssssss ssssss everytime its workin.....is this normal?

you can increase the voltage of your RAM to get a bit more stability at tighter timings/higher clocks

a hiss from the die itself, or is it the fan spinning up or something... it could be that you haven't got the paste applied properly and it has a low vapour pressure which causes gas to escape from the foot of the HSF... if it is, just get some MX-2 or AS5 and reseat the sink

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom