Swap CPU, PC shuts down 7-10 after bootup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akubane

Fully Optimized
Hey, got a quick question.

Is there anything in particular you should do when swapping CPU's? Like clearing the CMOS for instance.

Guy I just sold PC to swapped the QX9650 out for an E8400, and didn't clear the CMOS or anything, now it's shutting down about 7-10 seconds after booting up.

I never had the problem myself, but it's a compulsive habbit to clear the CMOS every time I mess with the CPU. I don't know if that has anything to do with it.
I don't even know if it actually does anything relevant to the CPU or not.

It just sounds to me like it's still looking for the qx and getting confused during boot up. He said he put the qx back in and it was still doing it though.

I don't know if it actually does anything but I told him to clear the CMOS and get back to me. Any thoughts? most of you swap CPUs quite often.

Don't know, I don't actually know the guy. He just e-mail me. I'll tell him to double check and make sure. Thanks

Wait, he replaced a QX9650 with a E8400? Wtf? Why?

If it's doing it with both CPU's, sounds like maybe he buggered something. Tell him to check temps in the BIOS.

actually sounds like its trying to recognise some unexpected peripherals at the POST (at least it does to me)... tell him to turn off his USB HDD...

although it could also be the fact that he may not have all the power connector hooked up right (im thinking the 2x4pin 12V)

He got it running. Clearing the CMOS alone didn't help, but he took out 4 of the 6gigs of ram, then re-cleared the CMOS and it booted to windows fine. Then he restarted, put the ram back in and everythings working.

Weird if you ask me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom