how to remove a glued on heatsink

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I did some work at Goddard, I knew this guy who would remove heatsinks by throwing the board into a zero-moisture freezer, then drop the temp down till it was almost dangerous. At the same time he'd be heating up a big frying pan on the break-room range. Once the pan was really hot, and the board(s) was really cold, he'd take the board out of the freezer, turn it over with the heatsink down, and press it into the bottom of the frying pan (no oil). The heatsink would soak up the heat, and with the rapid change in temperature extremes, the sucker would just fall right off.

Real sweet stuff. :D

I use the same principles of thermal-dynamics to install steel bearings into aluminum engine cases the easy way. Bake the engine case to about 250º F, while freezing the bearing. Once the cases are hot, adn the bearing's cold, you can pop the bearing RIGHT into the bore it belongs in without having to drive it an risk gulling the soft aluminum. (Although some Jim Beam, 120 DB of Godsmack and a big honkin' hammer's kinda fun too!)

Seriously thou.....

I'd actualy be more reluctant to use accetone that close to a PC board, and were it me, I'd heat that heatsink up and pop it right off as was said. Beleive me, you'd break the card in HALF before you'd pull a surface-mount GPU off that sucker!

ô¿ô

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom