Solid State Member
Specs:
Asus A8n32 sli delux
AMD Duo Core Overclock 2.8mhz
Corsair pc3200 4 gig ( reads 3 vista 32 bit ) 400mhz platinum
evga nividia gts 8800
wireless linksys g pci adapter
Vista Ultimate 32 bit

So my OS was just reinstalled. All my drivers are up to date. I play WoW, and I was noticing during it that I would get spikes. At first I thought it was the server, but I now know its my NIC, or something closely related.

I narrowed this down by running the game and same exact programs on my laptop and I do not get ANY kind of lag what so ever. My laptop gets a lower ping constantly, never goes above 100. My desktop does stay over 100 for the most part, both of them in the same spot.

I am running cable internet, with a wrt54gs linsys router. I have made a static ip and opened ports on my router to see if that would work.

It is incredibly annoying, I am out of ideas, and it seems to be stumping a lot of people :D

there's always the physical explanation... your desktop components are large and less well shielded... so they give off a large, more powerful electromagnetic force... this force can distort the wireless signal, causing it to lose far more packets than normal, which can result in lag... there's 2 solutions if this is, indeed, the issue

1) get something to extend your desktop's wireless antennae... a bit of copper wire... a clothes hanger... a sufficiently glittery yoyo string would work if it had to (assuming the glitter is old skool and made of zinc or iron or some other metal), or

2) why not use a gigabit ethernet connection for your desktop?? you're not planning on moving it too far... are you??

I have the latest driver download.

I would have had it via cable my its not my house and I cannot drill holes in the walls :)

I was thinking about scaling across the cieling but..idk yet

I just hooked it up to the router for the first time and I am completely lagless, so I going to have to go with the electromagnetic interference part.

In all honesty I dont really want to .....rig but I might have to.

Would tin foil or anything work? If so, where would I even put this stuff? In the socket itsself or just wrap it on the end of the plastic antenna?

Now its telling me the device isnt working properly cause they couldnt install the driver ( i uninstalled/reinstalled the driver for poops n giggles )

Description:
Windows was able to successfully install device driver software, but the driver software encountered a problem when it tried to run. The problem code is 31.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: PnPDeviceProblemCode
Architecture: x86
Hardware Id: pci\ven_1814&dev_0301&subsys_00551737
Setup class GUID: {4d36e972-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
PnP problem code: 0000001F
Driver name: WMP54Gv41x86.sys
Driver version: 2.0.3.0
Driver date: 03-12-2007
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

thats what I am getting

Okay are you sure you dont have driver conflict from installing the driver several times? Have you tried to run Driver Cleaner Pro to remove all the old drivers and start completely fresh?

Okay are you sure you dont have driver conflict from installing the driver several times? Have you tried to run Driver Cleaner Pro to remove all the old drivers and start completely fresh?

no but ill try that now. thanks mak

im having trouble finding a link for it and Im not paying 10 bucks for it either =P

the one i got is for my video, sound card only =/

and hefe I have the latest driver out atm

I am completely out of ideas and I have no idea what to do.

When I use Add Hardware, sometimes itll show my card. When I install it, it says its #2, and that its not working properly. So when I uninstall it, I choose delete all files.

I dont get how it even got to this point in the first place

Hey man, I've been having issues with the wrt54g v8.1 (i think).. My internet connection would cap at 8mbit/sec which is what my line is.. and randomly it would drop to a 1.5mbit/sec connection (roughly 100kb/sec).. It kept resulting in slow internet browsing lousing online gaming.. I would have to d/c and reconnect to my router to fix it, it happened a lot though.. I just installed firmware updates for it which resolved the issue (been 5 days smooth)..

Anyways I think this might be what you're referring to? goto linksys.com and check for a firmware update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom