New computer build - opinions wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not only that but the 750i and Nvidia boards in general from the 6 and 7 series have major reliability issues. Several members on TF have killed Nvidia boards. To me that is a big issue. We have more dead 6 and 7 series boards than any others from our members.

my dads 790i ultra was unstable mostly because it did not like the ocz platinum ram we had in it. but we switched it out and now it's been stable as a rock.

yes, they are quite picky from what i've read. or at least the 790i ultra is, but other than that the board is pretty sweet. it has a really nice layout.

Haha okay... anyways.. I really wanted SLI so i can just pop another vid card in a few years from now, i was going to get the 8800GT but i heard they were gonna stop making them soon so might as well not get that one whens its the same and a 9800. But, I dont really like ATI video cards because i heard there's alot of compatibility issues with some of the games i might play, and I've always been a Nvidia fan. But I also never overclocked and dont really know how to do it, I heard it's a hard process and only works if you do it perfectly right so I don't know if I'll want to go that route.

ATI cards don't have compatibility issues. I'm not sure who told you that. The 7 series mobo are overpriced and are known to fail. I don't know why people cling to one brand or another. I have owned both ATI and Nvidia cards, and I have to say, using them there really is no large difference in gameplay assuming both cards can play the game.

But I'd really like a case with a temp readout. Thanks guys, you've all been tons of help.

Those are few and far in between, you would have better luck buying a fan controller, they have temp sensors with them. mnpctech just used one made by Scythe in a recent case mod and it looks fantastic.

Newegg.com - Scythe KM01-SL "KAZE MASTER" 5.25" Bay Fan Controller - Controller Panels

you'll only notice the difference if you're a graphics whore... framerate you will notice, but a difference in textures and lighting is minute at most

Nevermind. That mobo was ddr3. But are the 750i and 680i essentially the same thing? I think i might just stick with the 780i.

Newegg.com - EVGA 123-YW-E175-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 750i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

would that one be any better? And are you guys suggesting I get a different graphics card or just stick with the 9800?

Then I'll probably get 2 gigs of ram instead. And i don't wanna start a huge dual core, quad core argument, but do you guys think i'll be fine with the dual core, even with the games that support quad better coming out? I mainly wanna play WHo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom