New HD won't boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lowri

Solid State Member
I've been trying to upgrade my hard drive in my main computer.

The first HD I tried made a clicking sound about once every three seconds, and I wasn't able to get past the "post" screen. My keyboard wasn't lit up (as if it was not receiving power)...

Whenever I switched back to the old HD, the computer worked fine.

I tried a few more things and ended up returning the drive for a new one

Now, with this HD, there's no clicking sound--but I had to put a bobby pin in the release hole of the DVD drive to get it to open to insert the Windows XP disk. Keyboard was still not lighting up, and the computer wasn't accepting commands. The Post screen just sat there "Boot from DVD/CD Drive"...

At one point of time I was able to manage to get past that screen. The computer then "checked the configuration of the hard ware" and displayed the error message: "inf file txtsetup.sif corrupt or missing status 32768"...I looked it up and this doesn't necessarily mean there's a problem with the disk, it may just mean it's not being read properly

I took the DVD drive out and I don't see any obvious corrosion or problems. Meh

What's happening? Is this a power issue? I live in an old building, and I blew the fuse to one of the outlets by plugging my computer into it...it's a kinda ghetto building

A little separate note: weird thing is, the DVD drive on my spare computer doesn't work either

Thanks guys. I feel like a freaking noob. I know too much about computers to sound this confused

Post your specs, that might help. HDD is IDE or SATA? Single HDD or more? Any beep codes? You have access to external HDD casing, can test the drive out that way maybe....what about hooking it up to your other system to test it?

It's SATA

There's one HD

And I don't think it's a problem with the hard drive, considering that I've tried this with two different HDs.

I don't remember hearing any beeps

Thanks

Specs:
GIGABYTE GA-965P-DQ6 LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard

GeForce 7900GT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3

Thermaltake W0101RU 550W ATX 12V 2.0 Version SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply

Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 Conroe 2.13GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80557E6400

Kingston ValueRAM 2GB ram

SONY 16X DVD±R DVD Burner With 5X DVD-RAM Write Black IDE Model DRU120C

new HD: Western Digital Caviar SE WD5000AAJS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

ok so are you plugging the new ide hdd on the same ide cable as your dvd drive? if you are then you should plug it in to another ide port.

I used the same SATA port that works correctly with the old HD...but only that one

you should try a different one. also have you tried it in another pc. have you tried it with the old hdd in and booting off of that one?

I think I did try a different SATA port with the first HD I tried. I really don't think the problem is in the HD

Halp, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom