260GTX and another hard drive on my 460W PSU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamaicaska

Solid State Member
Hi,

So I fancied a new storage hard drive and a new GPU for my christmas.

2wd7ur8.jpg

1TB Samsung HD103UJ Spinpoint F1, SATA 300, 7200 rpm, 32MB Cache, 8.9 ms, NCQ - Scan.co.uk
GX-260N-ADFF - 896MB XFX GTX 260, PCI-E 2.0, 2000MHz GDDR3, GPU 576MHz, 216 Cores, 2x DL DVI-I/ HDTV + FarCry 2 - Scan.co.uk

Currently I'm running:
e6600 c2d 2.4GHz running @ 3GHz
4GB Geil 800MHz ram @ 666MHz (1:1 FSB)
320GB Samsung HDD
7600GS, passive cooling
460W Zalman PSU
Asus P5B mobo

I get the feeling I may also need a new PSU, but if I revert my CPU to it's default will that make any noticable difference to power draw (i.e. meaning I won't need a new PSU)? I'll be running both HDDs at once. I've seen on that GPU the minimum recommended PSU is 500W but I've a mate running an 8800GTS (1st gen architecture) on a virtually identical rig (same PSU, processor etc) and the power draw is *apparently* not that much different for this new card. I've read through the stickies on PSUs etc (thanks, VERY useful!) and just wanted this clarifying.

While I'm asking, would anyone recommend a different card/hard drive, or can you see any problems with those I've picked?

Also, does my overclock look about right? I followed a guide online and couldn't get it past 3GHz without having to reset the BIOS on the CMOS jumper every time o_O

Thanks, sorry for the length of this post!

j

i'd say its really cutting it close... especially if you wanna OC either the CPU or the GPU... i'd want 600W minimum (but thats me, who loves a little overhead), but you should be able toscrape by... dont go nuts with the OCing tho

Ah, sweet as a nut. I've ordered it all now, should have the results in of whether it actually works next week some time.

*prays*

X-bit labs - Reinforcing the Line: ATI Radeon HD 4870 1024MB vs. Nvidia GeForce GTX 260 (216 SP) 896MB (page 8)

In the chart, with a QX9650 overclocked to 4.0Ghz and a core 216 overclocked, the entire system on load only draws about 300w.

ummmmm... with a good OC, you can pull 225W through the GPU alone... plus you OC an e6600 to 3GHz and you'll be pulling alot of power... it'll definitely be close, because its not the Watts you need (you can have a minimal current and millions of watts), you need Amps, and Zalman tends to skimp on that side of things

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom