16 Nvidia 9800GX2 card system!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: 16 Nvidia 9800GTX2 card system!

yeah...i saw that...the funny thing is is that i use those and i have LCD monitors that support the DVI ....i was just too lazy to take em off after switching from my CRTs

Re: 16 Nvidia 9800GTX2 card system!

IT graduate students Nicolas Pint, David Cox and James DiCarlo have managed to assemble an impressive 16-GPU system composed of eight 9800GX2 video cards donated by NVIDIA.

Wow, nVidia donated eight cards? Whoa.

I want to see This vs FASTRA. :D

lol, its not hard to build this.

Just grab a mountain mods case, two 4-way xfire mobos, a couple dual-cores, two hdd's, 2gb ram (1gb for each system) and a couple 1500watt thermaltake psu's.

The only hard part is getting the cards folding on one side (cause once one side is setup, you can just clone it to the other side)

Its really two systems inside the same case. Now yes folding with it would be crazy, were talking about a good 80,000ppd from that box alone. Heat would be a major issue though, sure theres a lot of fans but the room would need to be actively cooled to get rid of all that heat.

And this is twice the power of the fastra...its really just two fastras stuck together.

lol, its not hard to build this.

Just grab a mountain mods case, two 4-way xfire mobos, a couple dual-cores, two hdd's, 2gb ram (1gb for each system) and a couple 1500watt thermaltake psu's.

The only hard part is getting the cards folding on one side (cause once one side is setup, you can just clone it to the other side)

Its really two systems inside the same case. Now yes folding with it would be crazy, were talking about a good 80,000ppd from that box alone. Heat would be a major issue though, sure theres a lot of fans but the room would need to be actively cooled to get rid of all that heat.

And this is twice the power of the fastra...its really just two fastras stuck together.

:laughing: Reading this versus the paragraph or two of intformation, shiny case and huge heatsink on the last page made a lot more sense than the article. This is impressive, but time consuming. If you have the money and the NEED then I would too, is this similar to running VMware and multiple instances of operating systems? Since you mention cloning and getting the cards to work together.

:laughing: Reading this versus the paragraph or two of intformation, shiny case and huge heatsink on the last page made a lot more sense than the article. This is impressive, but time consuming. If you have the money and the NEED then I would too, is this similar to running VMware and multiple instances of operating systems? Since you mention cloning and getting the cards to work together.

Well technically you could just make it a render farm, and then it acts as one machine. Or you could run them both separately. I'd imagine this one is a farm though.

This is just two computers inside once case, so youre running two operating systems at the same time.

What you could do is use a kvm, and connect both systems to it with a single screen and keyboard.

I have the same system (but with only two gpu's) which is my dedicated machine for F@H and all i have the screen and keyboard for is to check temps every once in a while, since i have the machine networked and i can monitor that the cards are running properly from my gaming machine.

The initial setup and building of the system is easy.

The main obstacles are:

1. Power usage....this thing will use more than 15A, so you would have to get a separate breaker installed just for it.

2. Cooling....its gonna put out 2000watts of heat, so you would need a dedicated ac unit or a very large room.

3. Client setup - In terms of F@H, to get all four cards running it would take a while since the client doesnt officially support multiple cards, so you have to make four shortcuts and copies of the folder, and setup each shortcut to each folder.

4. Cost - lost of $$$ to get all the hardware for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom