RAM Chipset Question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jixx

Beta member
Hi, I'm new :) Anyways I am in despreate need of a RAM upgrade, and the game I want requires 256MB of RAM and I am currently on 192MB. I was looking at my system summary and I saw that I had two RAM cards in my system one which is fitted with 256MB Ram which is on something called 'Chipset 1' and the 192MB card is on the main board.
Ok so now my question is, is it possible to swap the cards around so the 256MB is in the Main board and the 192MB card goes into the 'chipset 1' which would inturn give me an instant 256MB of ram rite? Or is there a way to change the configuartion that RAM is sent to the chipset 1 card, without opening the lid.

I hope you understand what you mean :) I imagine that if it could done without lifting the lid, i could do it in the bios?

Screenshot if it helps...
ram.jpg

- Thanks inadvance.

You already have 256MB of memory total, but 64MB is being shared for your integrated graphics card. Either get another stick of 256 to give you 512MB (448 after share with gfx processor), or get a new graphics card. With a computer like that, don't be expecting to run Doom 3 and other high-end games, so you should get a graphics card such as the GeForce FX 5200 or 5600. However, a RAM upgrade to 512 would help you out tremendously.

Oh I understand now thanks for your speedy reply :D so I really have 256MB but after the Gfxcard, taking 64MB I have 192 left. Thanks alot :D Funny you should recommend a 5200, I had my eye on it to buy it tommorow so thanks :D So with the intergrated card removed I can expect 256MB? Just enough to get The Sims 2 running hopely..
Many thanks
All I have to do is convince my mom to let me open up the case:rolleyes:

make sure of what gfx card u get,depending on your motherboard,it might have agp slot it might not,if it doesn`t,it will have to be a pci slot gfx card,and not all motherboards will take one,my pc is a dell dimension 2350(rather was added a new motherboard)because the motherboard i had would not let me add a pci card ,it wouldn`t recognize it no matter what card I tried to add into it,and beleive me the 5200 card sucks ,I had one(xfx 5200 128 meg of ram) and gave it away,but compared to onboard it is awesome lol,well at least don`t get the xfx version get a chaintech of something it is much better

^ Thanks :D My intergrated card it PCI anyway so I have to get a PCI one, figures.
I was thinking of getting a ATI 9200SE card but I'm not quite sure....I know I don't want a frame rate under 40.

Don't expect a great framerate in 3D games with a computer OR a card like that. If you can get games running, that doesn't mean they will run well at all. The ATI Radeon 9200SE is one of the worst cards there is, comparable to the GeForce MX series of gfx cards. If I were you, I would look into building myself a completely new computer.

Thanks I'm just interested to getting a graphics card that supports T&L now, but that should be no problem. I'm not into Doom or anything like that just games like GTA:3, ST: Voyager Elite Force & The Sims 2 when it comes out but I need a new card for that :)
Thanks everyone :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom