First time building. Light gaming comp at $500 budget

Status
Not open for further replies.

wootwoot

In Runtime
Soooo. I'm trying to make a full list of parts that I'm gonna get on Boxing Day. I live in Canada and I'm actually buying all the parts in stores so I probably won't be ordering from Newegg or anything.
The main thing I want from my comp is a strong graphics card (512 mb) as well as a good processor, preferable Core Duo if it will fit in my budget. I'm quite good with computer software and such, but when it comes to hardware, I'm not that savvy. Could someone post some guides on how to put my rig together too?
One more thing, can I reuse my old HP case, or will it not work?

Thxxx

On the HP case, it depends on the motherboard that was in it before. A lot of the manufacture specific cases hold specific motherboards and different layouts to the board(such as sound or usb ports).

As long as you can find the correct motherboard you'll do fine. I think the only other problem would be the functions of the case vs. your motherboard. You'll need a power supply(obviously) and it sounds like you want an intel processor.

How much we're you looking to spend?

Woot I tried to keep my computer upgrades under $700 Canadian. So far I've exceeded $900+ and still going.

Is there any decent computer shops in your area? I don't know whats up in Canada but if you don't have a cheap store your going to have a hard time getting anything decent at stores for $500. Like me, I can't get anything for a good price because all I have is bestbuys and expensive little shops and each only occasionally sells for a resonable price.

I know in the states Fry's and Microcenter are decent brick and mortor stores to buy from. Do you have those?

Nah haven't heard of those. I know this one store called NCIX. They sell parts and custom built computers. Lots of selections there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom