NVIDIA Renaming Desktop & Mobile GPUs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
NVIDIA Renaming Desktop & Mobile GPUs

According to VR-Zone, NVIDIA is giving their desktop and mobile GPUs a name change. The crew at VR-Zone was digging around in a recent driver package and found the following:

It appears Nvidia is carrying out the rebranding of their GPUs on both desktop and mobile front as VR-Zone has learned from the recent releases of the Forceware drivers. On the desktop front, there are GeForce GTS 150 based on G92, GeForce GT 130 based on G94, GeForce GT 120 based on G96 and GeForce G100 based on G98. On the mobile front, there are GeForce GTX 180M and GTX 170M based on G92, GeForce GTS 160M based on G94, GeForce GT 130M and G 110M based on G96 and GeForce G 105M based on G98.

Once they hit 9xxx, I could understand starting with a new series... but not his crap. how many times have they done this? And did it without changing anything bu the name?

Nvidia is only hurting themselves. when people can't understand what is what, they go for what they can understand. Sure, Nvidia will get some sales from people who just chose one based on what the box says, but not from those who want to know how things compare.

Besides, I am sure their partners aren't too happy about all the bouncing around...

profits is profits, and if a simple renaming scheme will get the general public to buy it

by golly, why not?

But the only people who even consider the 9 series are the guru's and experts..

To most n00bs they buy freaking 8 series from Best Buy or something is considered "smart"

OMFG DROP THE G92 this is rediculous alltho its nice to know my 8800gts g92 is still high end :D alltho it feels like it isnt because im like 3 gens back but its a monster, especialy with sli :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom