Reformat HD - now usb ports don't work

Status
Not open for further replies.

qball419

Solid State Member
Hello. I have a Toshiba Satellite notebook and recently I reformatted my hard drive and installed Windows XP Pro on it. Now I can't plug anything into my USB 2.0 ports ( I have 3) because I can't find the neccesary software/driver to get it working. I lost the drivers cd that came with the notebook. I went to the Toshiba support website and they don't even have any drivers at all for the USB ports.

I don't know what to do now. I open the device manager and there is a yellow question mark w/exclamation point under "Other Devices" and "USB Controller". Further down the "device manager" list, I see a USB icon (USB Controller) and when I expand it, I get three listings for Standard Univeral PCI to USB Host Controller as well as three listings for USB Root Hub. SO did XP already have the drivers installed since there exist an icon?

I am confused right now. Can someone please help me out? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Thanks for the fast response. I know I have to re-install the USB Ports driver, but that is my problem. I no longer have the CD-ROM for the drivers. ANd I have search all over the Internet, including the Toshiba Support website, but to no avail. *sigh* I guess I should have backup my drivers before I perform the reformat process. If you know of any alternative solutions, please let me know. Thanks

Driversguide.com they also have a neat tool that detects devices and searches for the drivers over the Internet. You can also try AIDA32, same concept just you have to find driver yourself.

Here is a few things you can check. Enter BIOS and look for an option with USB high speed and make sure it is enable. You can also delete the entries from your device manager and reboot your computer. XP will then detect new hardware and reinstall the appropriate drivers.

Thanks for everyone's reply. I have tried to uninstall it and restart windows xp, but it still ask for the installation cd which I don't have. I read an article which states that you need 'service pack 1' for XP to automatically select the appropriate driver for you, but my windows xp won't allow my to install sp1 bc it said that my windows xp contain an invalid product ID.

Anyway, I am happy to report that I found a Toshiba driver cd-rom on Ebay and waiting for it to arrive. That should solve my problem, I hope. Thank you everybody for your response. This forum is great.

Uh...have you tried going to your mobo manufacturer? The drivers for USB are related to the mobo.

And for the love of canned jesus...stay away from Driversguide.com! That site is so full of spyware and adware it isn't funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom