The burning smell returns!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spit-wad

Bake a Pretty Cake!
A couple months ago, I noticed a burning smell coming from my baby. I immediately shut down, opened it up, and I think it was coming from the PSU, but not completely sure. There was a good deal of dust, so I cleaned it out with some dust-off. A month or two went by, and did not smell burning again. Then it came back last week... couldn't tell where the smell was coming from because it disappeared so quickly after I opened the case. I cleaned it out again, and been fine now.

I can only guess that the smell will come back in the near future.

Can the burning smell be coming from dust? My computer is in a very inaccessible spot, but it's the only spot I can fit it in my small dorm room. Basically, it's a pain to get at and I don't clean it out very often.

The grill on the PSU is facing up, so I thought maybe some dust just fell in there or something?

Any ideas? Burning smell can never be a good thing :(.

Yeah i find that accumulation of dust + heat can make kind of like a burning smell.

I clean out my systems regularly for that same reason.

So nothing to be worried about, just keep cleaning? It's an Antec 900, but it's tucked in a corner between a wall, my desk, and what I think is some kind of heating unit... sounds bad, but the thing always has cold air coming out of it so i don't think its a problem... it's just a very cramped space, where the only airflow is on top and in the front.

Get either an air compressor or a can of Air that you can use

You'll lose the burning smell and could get some better temps!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom