Advantages to larger RAM capacities?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not really sure what I turned on off from the top of my head I just turned off virtually everything so that vista now in essence runs like xp but with a prettier interface via aero. On boot I only 25 processes so its still quick as

There is some kind of ram program you can look up on google. I can't think of the words to describe it, but, there is a program that basis the use of your programs, then, 'reserves' a portion of memory until you use that program again.

lol. isn't that what windows 7 is? A prettier version of XP?

There is some kind of ram program you can look up on google. I can't think of the words to describe it, but, there is a program that basis the use of your programs, then, 'reserves' a portion of memory until you use that program again.

lol. isn't that what windows 7 is? A prettier version of XP?

Yeah I know thats how vista manages ram but it is useless if you don't have sufficient ram to be able to preload a program little point using 20% of 512mb to preload word. Windows vista was completely rewritten from the ground up hence why it took so long windows 7 isn't even past beta yet should be with us in 6 months or so.

Have you turned off the program that sets aside ram for programs that is built into vista?
In regards to 6GB of ram, I don't know what the use is for all of that memory, just to have more? I guess that would be the only reason, your not getting a performance increase, just, more space for your cpu to place information of vital programs your running at the time.

Graphic Designers are to blame for this. all the power in the world isn't going to make bad art better. It's about running your programs and things within a comfortable, affordable budget.

Because with an x58 board my options were either 3gb or 6gb, and i'm not going to go down in memory.

yea...usually it's harder to overclock if you have 4x1gb instead of 2x2gb, and i've heard it's a bit harder on the northbridge too...but i don't think it'd be anything major.
depends how they've designed the memory controller

If you use a Phenom or later K8 chip, they work quite well with 4 sticks.
With a core 2 system, it depends on the chipsets used by your motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom