Back and still no Rig lolz

Status
Not open for further replies.
but would it mess with anything like...

Harddrive life span
speed of games/etc ?

Needa know what to do here so I know what exactly to buy.

no, it wont have any effect on the life of the HDD. speed of games would not really be any different, since they would be housed on the storage drive, not in the RAID array. what would be vastly improved are your OS load times and any writing that you had to do to the RAID drives (driver install etc) would be much quicker.
if you want to do what i am suggesting, you would need to buy 2 of the 80gb HDDs like these:
Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST380815AS 80GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives
to do RAID 0 and house your OS and swap file.
and then a 1tb or whatever size you want like this:
Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31000340AS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives
to house your games and other miscellaneous stuff.

would 2 60GB work for it, and then a 1.5TB for the mass storage? or should I go with 80GBs? (and the 1TB you listed has several problems listed, RAID setups, DOAs, etc.... kinda swayed me away... Iam a WD girl myself.. had this WD 60GB for.... 7 years now I think... its just now dying... went through heck and back with it first though)

Considering the price of those, and then adding S^H to it, I might as well "over do it" and get the 160GB HD for 50 bucks, free shipping.... unless that size would hinder my load times or something

I think you guys are just confusing the heck out of her.

She really doesn't need Raided drives for her OS.

I mean heck, she even said the only games she plays are low res MMO's...

Just go buy 2 1.5tb drives and don't worry about a raid or anything.

I can list games, and games of interest "i wish I could play" if that'll help, because I think they are closer to the line of what I want then you think.

Fallout 3 Full Graphics (I can play sub-default right now)
Crysis (would be nice to see this engine in action)
Diablo 3 (stats soon to be released, high quality and mass graphic)
Operation 7 (rather intensive free MMORPG FPS game)

As it is, when in Fallout3, when a mass explosion is triggered, there is a hesitant moment, then about 1 second of lag. The radio also sounds skipped and slow and bad quality (even after fixing the in game issue for it quest wise) like its not fully buffered.

"out doing it" now is ok, because I don't want to have to buy replacement parts every 3 months just to keep going.

Also- for fun purposes- lemme list my CURRENT rig, so you can see where I am coming from.

Xp Pro SP3
Intel Pentium 4, 2.53Ghz (a 3.0 GHz chip will not run with my GPU, lack of power)
1.25GB RAM (not any good either)
1x 12.1 GB fireball harddrive (OS)
1x 60 GB Western Digital (data)
Nvidia GeForce 7600GS (512)
Gateway Ev700 Monitor (lolz)

**and your a mod.. so Iama trust you know what your saying about the 1TB one you linked, but should I go with the 80s you linked, or just pay about 5 dollars more (10 total) to get 2 160GBs instead of 2 80GBs?

I have chosen, THIS Case : Newegg.com - ABS Diablo ADV Black Finish + Titanium bezel Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Please tell me if it will do or if I should look some more.

Reasons:
Large front intake not only to keep HDD cool, but to pull enough air in to keep everything else cool.

Large side fan, same as front, however can also be switched to exaust if need be.

2 top fans, one over the power supply to make sure it is cooled well (overkill) and over/between the PSU and CDrom where hot air has been known to get trapped. (also helps with RAM)

Rear exhaust to ensure the CPU cools off properly.

Cons: Probably going to sound like a Jet Turbine, however that is fine, the case is located on the lower section of my desk, and even loud noises are muffled by the wood and rubber construction.

im not saying she needs to raid drives, im saying that if she does, this is what she needs to do. and also that as far as RAID goes, which option is good for what.
OP you can use whatever size you think appropriate for your OS and swap. 60gb should be fine. but i see WD 80gb on newegg for the same price as the seagate i linked. its a little slower, but not too much.

Well I want fast, the only reason I said the 160GB ones is with the shipping cost of the ones you linked, it's only 5 dollars more per 160GB drive then the 80GB, and they have Free Shipping, so it's like doubling the extra space for 5 dollars, which is a fantastic deal, however if a 160GB HDD would hinder speeds, slow it down, or what not, I'll save the 10 dollars and go with the 80GB ones and shut the heck up. ^.^ Just putting in something I noticed in case you didn't see it.

Iam still on the edge here as to what will be faster, I mean... I don't "boot" up that often, computer stays on most every day unless major update or anything like that, so 'faster boot times' won't matter.. I am sure faster Windows Loading Times would be good, even just 'in the background' however not sure how much they will affect my gaming.

If all else fails I'll buy a 1, 1.5TB HDD and just use it (although another HDD to host the OS, because I like that idea, and have for a long time, format the smaller one into a OS/Swap drive and a installer drive for reinstall/antivirus purposes and such)
Harddrive A:
C: windows
D: Swap file and "My Documents", install files, antivirus, anti malware, re-install software etc.

Harddrive B:
E: Drive Games, music, pictures, and the like on it.

thats a good deal for the 160. if you are not going to raid, then you can get that for your OS and swap and a 1tb or whatever for your storage. 160gb in RAID 0 for OS is way overkill. but, you would have a lot of space.

I understand that, I just can't quite picture the benefits if RAID0 I guess.. I don't know what to compare it too, or how much "faster" it would make things, do you think you could find some documentation on it to help me decide if I should go Raid0 or if I should just old fashioned master/slave the drives?

Every Google Result I find is just a "you should cuz it's l33t" answer, and not really a "benefit/con" type documentation to tell me if I really should get it or not.

And if 160 GB is really overkill for Raid0, does that mean that Raid0 is about to be phased out? Harddrives are only getting bigger, and finding the smaller drives is getting quite hard, even trying to find a 60GB right now is difficult, unless you buy a Laptop drive and a converter tool. (which I am sure slows the heck out of it, well the IDE ones, Iam sure the kits for SATA just include a larger 'frame' for the drive to sit in)

and on second thought the Swap/"My Documents" should be on another physical Harddrive shouldn't they? grr now I've confused myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom