how to remove a glued on heatsink

Status
Not open for further replies.

boomer

Baseband Member
Hi all I have an old video card which came with heatsinks and fans on it,the heatsinks are glued onto the gpu ,what I need to know is what can I remove this glue with,it is pretty solid on there and prying I don`t think could be an option.The fans that came with this card are very inadequate,and I am going to replace thm with a much better heat spreader and fan.I have no idea what kind of glue is used to hold them on.the card is a 5500 dual gpu voodoo.thanks guys.I know the card is outdated but it playes certain games very well.

How to Remove a Factory Heatsink
------------------------------------------------

You will need:
1 hammer
1 flat-head screwdriver
1 bottle of Southern-Comfort

--------------------------------------------

Step 1.
Find a place to wedge the flat-head screwdriver in between the heatsink and g-card.

Step 2.
Open bottle of Southern-Comfort and drink till you have forgotten what you're about to do and how much you paid for the card.

Step 3.
Gingerly, use the hammer to tamp away at the butt of the screwdriver, till point is wedged in good.

Step 4.
Have another drink, just to make sure you're sure.

Step 5.
Grasping the g-card firmly in one hand, and holding the screwdriver like a crazed clammer, twist and pop that heatsink off.

------------------------------------
if (success == true) {
blame.you = genious.you + toolbox.tools(hammer,screwdriver);
}

else {
blame.them = bottle.alcohol(SoCo);
}

:mad: :mad: :mad:

If you want to make a mess and yer card is cold, use the acitone.

If you want to go with the screwdriver method, just run yer PC and let it get hot, then that sucker will just peal off like the skin of your victims...

hmm, ya id stick with acitone... unless u want to "accidently" break ur card to get a new one :D

my 5700 card had those same heatsinks on it with that same glue......came right off with...................needle nose pliars :D

muahahahaha

if (success == true) {
blame.you = genious.you + toolbox.tools(hammer,screwdriver);
}

else {
blame.them = bottle.alcohol(SoCo);
}
hahaha nice formula

LOL THANKS FOR THE INFO LMAO I think I will try the accetone because these suckers are stuck well like glue lol,never seen any on this good.

I always use a blow dryer in that case. Takes no time and works like a charm.

:)

Don't hold it too close - as it could get too hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom