The Official NosBoost300 Overclocking Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
havent tried overclocking them yet... havent gotten around to much oc'ing.. i've been actually playing games with my computer these days.. lol

thats not like you nos! lol

so can you desync the RAM from the bus on X58?? those g.skills should get some whack clocks at decent timings... you can probably do 2GHz at 9-9-9-24... maybe even tighter

Am I the only one who thinks the ram timings are getting ridiculous? I know its made up for by the bandwidth and mem speed, but still. Good DDR sticks had CAS in the 3s, good DDR2 had CAS 4 or 5 and now good DDR3 has CAS 9? I think they should go back and try again. I've been reading about the memory wall, but seriously, from an engineering standpoint what about memory makes it that much harder to clock than a cpu? They are made of the same things. Maybe we should abandon DRAM and go back to SRAM?

no, good DDR3 1600 usually has a CL of 7, like the G.Skills nos has, or OCZ Golds...

i believe the main limitation for overclocking RAM is the slight oscillations on voltage which occur over read and write cycles of a given memory bank... as the timings decrease, the frequency of the voltage oscillations increases, which causes instability in the link to the CPU (be it directly or through the FSB)...

because DDR3 has lower voltages, the amplitude of the oscillation as a portion of the total voltage becomes greater at looser timings, which causes instability at higher threshold timings for any given DRAM frequency... it is mainly for this reason that tighter timings can be achieved at higher voltages...

regardless of this, the incredible bandwidth offered by the triple channel nature of DDR3 negates the small loss due to looser timings

oh.. and hey, no i can not unlink the ram.. seems the 680 and 780i were the only boards to do it... i wonder if the evga x58 has that ability

You dont have to stay under 1.6v. That's already been disproved. You are fine as long as the mch voltage is within .5v of the memory voltage. This holds true at any voltage.

^^ exactly... you can do 2V no problem... but you wouldn't wanna run the MCH up at 1.5V 24/7... but 1.4V should be easy all day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom