Help me improve my budget build!

Status
Not open for further replies.

2syk_

Solid State Member
Ok so i've finally decided to give this custom pc building thing a try. I've come up with a build that i like. Its cheap and seems powerful enough to handle most games. My current laptop has a Core Due T2500 (2.0GHz) and that feels fine for me, so I think that the cheaper amd alternative to a core 2 duo will be ok for me. Here is the build, tell me if there are compatibility issues or if there is a part that could be improved upon :D .
Combo drive: Newegg.com - LITE-ON Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache IDE 20X DVD±R DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners
Case:Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum Bezel , SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
Hard Drive: Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives
Mobo: Newegg.com - Foxconn A7GM-S AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards
Video card: Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100245L Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
Power supply: Newegg.com - Thermaltake TR2 W0070RUC 430W ATX12V Power Supply - Power Supplies
Ram: Newegg.com - G.SKILL PI Black 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
Processor: Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane 2.6GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

What i'm really trying to build is a good budget gaming pc (just like everyone else lol), except i'm not going for the core 2 duo. Is this a mistake? Thanks in advanced for any help. ^^

The two things you might consider changing there are the supply and case for two separate reasons.
1) By going with an adequate maybe a little heftier supply you allow for later expansion and upgrade. For a little bit you can move into the 500-600w range with the OCX 600w supply seen at Newegg.com - OCZ StealthXStream OCZ600SXS 600W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

The GameXStream is the better series for OCZ however while another one to consider is the Antec TP3 550w model seen at Newegg.com - Antec True Power Trio TP3-550 550W ATX12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply with Three 12V Rails - Power Supplies The rest climb in price from $69.99 upwards.

2) That model sees a small 80mm front intake and a 120 rear for case fans. That doesn't offer much intake if you game a lot or run a lot. The alternative model also by Cooler Master would be the model see with three 120s one in front, one rear, and the additional third seen on the side cover. All three are led. Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER NV 690 NV-690C-KWN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Run a pair of the exact WD sata drives here by the way. No complaints so far.

Ok so after taking the case cooling and psu situations into acc, my build looks like this:
Combo drive: Newegg.com - LITE-ON Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache IDE 20X DVD±R DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners
Case: Newegg.com - Sunbeam Silent Storm IC-SS-SVBK Black/Silver Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
HDD: Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives
Mobo: Newegg.com - Foxconn A7GM-S AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards
Video Card: Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100245L Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
PSU: Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Real Power Pro RS-650-ACAA-A1 650W ATX Form Factor 12V V2.3 / SSI Standard EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies
Memory: Newegg.com - G.SKILL PI Black 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
CPU: Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane 2.6GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

So how does this look? I swapped the case for one with 3x120mm fans, and the psu for a 650w one. The only reason I didn't use the ones above is that I needed a 6-pin for the graphics card and a 24 pin for the mobo. Any suggestions? I'm really liking where its at rite now. Cheap and powerful.
I was also wondering how this build would look for overclocking. I've never done it and thought if it fits the requirements I'd try it (i know there is a post on overclocking but i'm not gonna change the whole build just to overclock). Again thanks in advanced for any help. =D

The two item change looks good. The thing to realize about the two supplies linked earlier is that both SLI certified also seeing 6pin plugs for twin video card SLI or Crossfire setups and the 20+4 is still 24pin but with a 4pin pull off section for use on old pre Pentium 20pin boards as well as newer 24pin instead of just seeing a solid 24pin main power connector.

The Sunbeam looks good for a case if you don't mind the swing out door when going to install softwares, burn disks, place game disks in drives for the games that need the disk in. But that will help keep a lot of dust off of the drive bays plus sees better air flow there.

Just one thing I want to make sure is that everything is compatible with each each other. Does this look like something i can piece together and have running the day it comes? Or are there compatibility problems anywhere?

The one or rather two things here I could add would be 1)thinking over whether you want a micro atx board unless going into a mini tower case since they often lack quite a bit.

And 2) only installing one of the 2gb dimms until Windows is up and running! Even with the 32bit as well as 64bit edititions of Vista(if that will be the OS) some see problems trying to get Windows on.

There's a Gigabyte micro atx board that you may want to look over at Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-M78SM-S2H AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 8200 HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards The rebate on that brings the price down lower then on the Foxconn model you have linked there.

Ok so i've finally decided to give this custom pc building thing a try. I've come up with a build that i like. Its cheap and seems powerful enough to handle most games. My current laptop has a Core Due T2500 (2.0GHz) and that feels fine for me, so I think that the cheaper amd alternative to a core 2 duo will be ok for me. Here is the build, tell me if there are compatibility issues or if there is a part that could be improved upon :D .
Case:Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum Bezel , SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
Hard Drive: Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives
Video card: Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100245L Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
Power supply: Newegg.com - Thermaltake TR2 W0070RUC 430W ATX12V Power Supply - Power Supplies
Ram: Newegg.com - G.SKILL PI Black 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
Processor: Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane 2.6GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

What i'm really trying to build is a good budget gaming pc (just like everyone else lol), except i'm not going for the core 2 duo. Is this a mistake? Thanks in advanced for any help. ^^

Build looks good, maybe get that 780g Gigabyte Board..

and the PSU with a Corsair 450vx

$168 vs $124..

If you really want him to have Intel so desperately, you should have recommended something way cheaper...

any reason why you are getting a micro atx mobo?
i like the asus 780g micro board that i just got. it clocks pretty well and it looks good, too.
gotta love express gate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom