Back and still no Rig lolz

Status
Not open for further replies.
A single 4870 should be able to run almost any resolution on any size monitor, the reason to really go dual triple or quad GPU would be :

A) multiple monitors - because its highly taxing on 1 GPU to show 2/3 "desktops" (or games)

B) Over E-nis'ing your machine to be more g33kifi3d. (aka, "Dude I gots me 16 GHz proccessing power and Quad 4870's! My Machine is 1337!")

really there are no other reasons, games perform just fine with single- good- cards, as long as you haven't bottle necked your motherboard or other parts down for some stupid reason. (running 4x when it can run 16x etc)

Since I doubt I'll go extreme monitors (3+) I really don't "Need" more then 1 GPU. Especially since I don't plan (and probably in all likely hood WONT) play in the highest resolutions (most the time the games I play are FREE MMOs and going to higher reso's means sacrificing the ability to READ game text. Sucks when trying to talk to people)

The only real reason I consider going 2 GPU is so that each is only taxed half as much (reletively speaking) which can increase the life of the cards and decrease the noise of the cards (the fans won't have to work as hard to keep them cooled off) and can lower the heat level of the case (2 cards working half pace is actually LESS thermo then 1 card working 100%)

I got a few days off from my night job (nothin naughty kiddos :p ) so I should be able to chat more on this and find "my perfect build" remember, everyone has different tastes and some of us are willing to sacrifice some Power just to make it look pretty or be more stable.

as for the x16 x16 x1, I can't for the life of me think of what I would put in a Third slot.. it won't be a third GPU, so does anyone know anything useful that would be put into a 2.0 slot? I was debating the x16x16x1 or the x16x16x4 but if I can't figure out anything I would need in the third slot.. it really don't matter what multiplier it has.

Possibly one of those rear-vent fans? I don't think x4 or x1 would matter for a fan like that...

Nevermind- irrelevant the third pci x16 slot (black on that Asus) would be covered by a second GPU anyway due to the layout. however 1 of the PCI slots (slot 2, white) would be available.

as for my monitor I will be going 22" in the least. I have put up with little CRT's for far too long, its time to get me a LCD, and get a nice size one at that. (22 is a BIG step up from 16)

I actually bet the LCD has lower responce time then this old CRT. lol.

Although the power supply listed is nice and all that, it seems we are going to be Air-cooling this rig, so I would prefer modular cables to lessen the amount of congestion behind the CD rom/ Harddrive so air can flow more freely. I won't use EVERY cable they give on that thing, and that's just extra junk inside takin up space.

Any problems with me going double RAM? 3x2GB? Newegg.com - G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

as for the x16 x16 x1, I can't for the life of me think of what I would put in a Third slot.. it won't be a third GPU, so does anyone know anything useful that would be put into a 2.0 slot? I was debating the x16x16x1 or the x16x16x4 but if I can't figure out anything I would need in the third slot.. it really don't matter what multiplier it has.

Possibly one of those rear-vent fans? I don't think x4 or x1 would matter for a fan like that...

Those don't use any kind of motherboard interface, just the rear slot.

Although the power supply listed is nice and all that, it seems we are going to be Air-cooling this rig, so I would prefer modular cables to lessen the amount of congestion behind the CD rom/ Harddrive so air can flow more freely. I won't use EVERY cable they give on that thing, and that's just extra junk inside takin up space.

If you built a dream rig like your talking about, you'd be surprised how many of the cables you'll wind up using.

Plus, so long as you get a larger tower, (full) you'll have plenty of space to stow spare cables.

Make sure you use a 64 bit operating system or you won't be able to address all the ram.

yea i figured Id go with the Vista (ewww) 64. I MIGHT just wait until Windows 7 hits, wasn't it supposed to hit in Jan-Feb of 09?

and I figured 80% more cost for 100% more RAM would be a nice deal, even if it drops in price here after I buy it.

speaking of which- Iam only going to be able to spend a few hundred a month (about 600) at a time, so any suggestions on which to buy first? (what will drop in price in a short time and should be picked up later, and whats a great deal right now)

yea i figured Id go with the Vista (ewww) 64. I MIGHT just wait until Windows 7 hits, wasn't it supposed to hit in Jan-Feb of 09?

and I figured 80% more cost for 100% more RAM would be a nice deal, even if it drops in price here after I buy it.

speaking of which- Iam only going to be able to spend a few hundred a month (about 600) at a time, so any suggestions on which to buy first? (what will drop in price in a short time and should be picked up later, and whats a great deal right now)

Just save the money and buy it all at once. Or buy it with a credit card and pay off 600 a month.

The issue involved is how quickly computer parts depreciate. Were you to buy $600 bucks a month worth in parts, by the time you got the rig together you'd have likely lost more than $200 as a result of price drops.

If you must go this route there are several parts that drop in value more slowly than others.

Monitors, power supplies, and cases are all usually pretty stable price wise. Any kind of hardware, especially new parts will drop in price and value remarkably fast.

I was going to pick a power supply first, one that should work with this old rig as well, as this power is going out fast, its not able to support the 3.0Ghz chip i have sitting here, AND my video card at the same time, even though it has the wattage and all that- telling me its age is showing. It was a good rig, its just old. It's time for it to retire. (some parts are 8+ years old)

Moni would be next as this CRT is giving me headaches. It flickers sometimes and I feel it's time is near. The Cyber Reaper is coming, and boy does she have a lot of stops here.

Case third as I have no full cases.

Speakin of which.. need a good power supply reccomendation , even if i DO end up using 'all' the cables... I want modular.

Umm.. Corsair HX1000? There's actually no point of getting an i7, if you don't set up multiple GPUS, because you won't tell the differnce, and the Gigabyte UD5 is 16/16/8. And again, I recommend a CM Cosmos S 1100, it's big, and has tons of fans, plus it has wiremanagement. Oh yeah it's all alluminum, so it stays cool.

There's actually no point of getting an i7, if you don't set up multiple GPUS, because you won't tell the differnce.

And again, I recommend a CM Cosmos S 1100, it's big, and has tons of fans, plus it has wire management. Oh yeah it's all alluminum, so it stays cool.

Umm, no, you can definitely tell the difference between a C2Q and an i7 cpu.

GPU's don't play a role in pure processor speed.

Cosmos S is really a water cooling case, nothing else.

Take a look at the "Uber Chakra" for a nice cheap full tower case.

GPU is GPU lolz

sides, wether or not I start with 2 GPU isn't the issue, I will some day go dual.

And from a pent 3 , 2.4GHz with corrupt sectors of HDD< a failing PSU, Ram that out dates your love life and such, either are a HUGE step forward and WILL be noticed lol. But I might as well "prepare for the future" while I got a little spending cash and make this rig last as long as the one I am currently on. (hopefully)

Sure this can't play games in full resolution or even max graphics, but it plays them, and lag free. That's all I care about toward the end of the computer's use.

Be nice for some links ... these are very unfamiliar grounds for me (case etc)

Time for some sleep, baby sit in the mornin then I should be back on to check more. I think Iama go 1TB HDD however... they are decently cheap. and 32MB cache

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom