Sudden Loss Of Keyboard And Mouse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lawmanxxx

Solid State Member
After running a clean-up utility on my older computer (700mhz Celeron) I rebooted and when Windows opened I had absolutely no use of my keyboard and mouse. The mouse is a Microsoft Optical and the keyboard is a Compaq. The mouse connects to the keyboard through a USB port, then the keyboard to the tower through another USB. I have tried connecting through one of the other USB ports, rebooting several times, and have even tried using a serial port adapter with no results. It simply will not recognize any USB hardware. The computer reboots normally but without any input device I can't start up in Safe Mode or even reformat the hard drive, for that matter.
Can anyone suggest a fix for this problem?

i think its drivers . . .

when you got the mouse and keyboard, did you get an adapter for the usb plug where you plug it into one side, and then you can plug the other side into a PS/2 port?

koldapu's got the right idea. I don't see any way for you to recover without borrowing a PS/2 keyboard and mouse from somewhere. You must have cleaned up one or two too many files. :)

well, just go to your neighborhood computer store . . . or compusa or something like that . . .

buy 2 of those usb to ps/2 adapters . . . cost you about $5-6 total

Well... In frustration I booted up again and plugged everything in as it was before and it worked. Go figure! The only thing that I did not mention in my original post was that I was cleaning up after installing Windows Service Pack 2. It's possible that there were a few bugs at work!!!
Anyway, Thanx to both of you for responding to my post.
-Lawmanxxx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom