Upgrading RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

r0bby

Beta member
I am going to upgrade my lenovo z61m laptop from 1gb to 4gb of ram. I have no idea what I am looking at.

For example what is the difference between

Newegg.com - Rendition by Crucial 2GB 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Laptop Memory - Laptop Memory

and

Customer Reviews Of Crucial 2GB 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Laptop Memory - Retail

I don't even know if this is the right ram. I think I am supposed to be using PC2 5700 667, but for all I know I can be using something else. I really have no idea here, ram has always confused me. Can you guys help me out here? I have looking to upgrade for about 60 bucks including shipping. What would be the best bang for my buck?

Found this-
Computer memory upgrades for Lenovo ThinkPad Z61m Series Laptop/Notebook from Crucial.com

I still don't know what the fastest set up would be for me. I have Vista 32bit so apparently I only get use out of 3gb-3.5gb. Is there any other way to utilize more than this with 32 bit, or do i need to do a reinstall?

If you can answer any of this or just 1 part, please reply and help me out. Thanks.

Your system board will only support 3 gigs. So it doesn't matter, 32 bit or 64 bit your system board will only allow you a max of 3 gigs. Sorry - I ran into the same issue w/ my HP.

As for what to upgrade to, all you really need to do is match the RAM specs you already have, so you need to purchase PC2-5300. My suggestion would just to purchase a 2 gig stick or ram putting you at the max of 3 gig.

Newegg.com - Kingston 2GB 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Laptop Memory - Laptop Memory

The above 2 gig stick will be fine. Hopefully you've got a 1gig stick in the laptop already and this will max you out at 3gb. Any ddr2 667 stick will work, Kingston is cheap and it's good ram, too. Lifetime warranty is key so if it ever happens to go bad on you they'll replace it.

Next step is installing the ram, this is pretty easy. Usually there's just a slot cover on the bottom side of the laptop.

Is there any difference between those two sticks I posted early?

I just opened up my laptop and checked, unfortunately I have two 512 sticks. I will be buying 1gb stick and a 2gb sitck. Is there going to be compatibility issues with buying two different kinds or does it still stand that anny DDR2 5300 will work?

Is there different tiers of DDR2 5300. Like does one brand perform better than another?

Some brands will be lower quality, but just get one with a lifetime warranty and you're fine. Kingston, Crucial, Corsair, OCZ, Patriot, Viking, these are all good brands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom