CPU Overheating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

u4ic_fln

Baseband Member
So I built a new computer about a month ago, but I re-used the same hard drives from my old computer. I am planning on installing Vista 64-bit as soon as I can but I am waiting for a Vista compatible DVD Drive to come from NewEgg. I don't have a 2nd XP Product key, so I am just making due while I wait for the DVD Drive to come in the mail. Unfortuantely my 30 days was up and I needed to do another install of WIN XP to buy some time.

As I was installing Win XP (as soon as it was done re-formatting the HD) it rebooted as it should. However, during the boot process, I got an error messages that said the CPU was over heating. I got the same message last month when I was re-formatting the Hard Drives. But the computer has run for a month without any issues otherwise.

Is this something I need to worry about?

DVD Compatible drive? That is a first. I have a DVD ROM and DVD DL Burner that i got years before Vista came out and the DVD works in there just fine...

Google for the Rearm. IT should allow you more than 30 days. I think it works in XP as well. Just a way to extend your trial.

I would check it out. With Everest or something just to see if there is anything to worry about. Could be in the switch or the build that the heat sink wasnt mounted correctly.

OK, I know its been a while, but my girlfriend has had to write 4-5 papers for school over the last month and has needed her computer on a regular basis. Now that she is done with that, we are ready to try and figure out what the problem is.

Again, we have had no problems running XP or any of the programs since re-installing a month ago. But before I install Vista, I want to make sure that the hardware is in tip top shape.

So, I downloaded the trial version of Everest (as you suggested), and I ran the system stability test, and her computer runs a lot hotter than mine while being stressed as well as when idle. While idle, her CPU temp runs about 55c while mine runs around 35c. When stressed for 1 minute (using the Everest System Stability Test) my CPU temp was about 40c and hers shot up to around 95c.

What should I do?

Is her PC a laptop? Cause if so they tend to run hotter to begin with so we know to take that into consideration when we give the next bit of advice.

if it's not a laptop then you could remount the heatsink and reapply thermal paste. just to be sure it's on there good and tight.

get some atric silver thermal paste.
clean the paste off the old cpu and heatsink with some over 70% isopropyl alcohol. just a dab on a coffee filter is good. (coffee filters are good cheap lint free cloths for this use)

reapply some artic silver paste. just a pea sized drop should do ya. then reapply the heatsink making sure it is secure.

Alrighty, I did everything you guys requested, and that seems to have fixed the issue. Her computer was running at about 55c while idle and 95c while stressed and now its running around 39c idling and 51c while stressed. So a huge improvement. Thanks a ton everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom