Purchased 1080p monitor, now an appropriate graphics card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

james.wired

Equator Gringo
I bought the ViewSonic X Series VX2260wm from Newegg. At the moment I just have basic on board graphics. What should I be looking for when buying a new graphics card for this monitor? I see in the specs of some of them that they list things like TV-out, 2x DVI, DX 10.1, HDMI, HDCP, HDTV. If I buy a graphics card that doesn't have an HDMI, am I completely missing the point of having that monitor? Do I HAVE to have a card that has HDMI to view the 1080p? Some cards I have looked at do not have HDMI but they have HDTV and are in the same price range or above...what's the difference?

Help!!! thank you haha

hdmi or dvi is fine. First you must ask yourself. What is the cards intended purpose? Gaming? Movies and surfing the web? If you game you'll need a good card for that resolution but if your just watching movies you can grab something cheap like a 2600xt or a 4650

I am assuming that HDMI is better than DVI? I am going to be doing most everything including gaming, movies, web surfing, graphic and photo editing, etc. I am trying to get the best card between $100-$150, with some room IF completely necesary. I am in Panama, and the resources are very limited and the prices are a lot higher for electronics and accessories than most anywhere else..this is the best store I have come across so far: Yoytec and those are pretty much the choices I have! not many haha. To use the full potential of the monitor, will I need an HDMI graphics card? My motherboard is an ALiveNF6P-VSTA and I have a AMD X2 3800+, I do not know if some cards will not run on that?
what's the best card there for my system and monitor in your opinion?

HDMI and DVI are the same thing a digital signal although HDMI includes audio which a computer monitor doesn't need. If you can get a 9800gt or a 4830 it would be great don't be afraid to contact the shops sales team and bargain a bit ;)

If all is the same with DVI and HDMI I guess I will penny up and buy the 4850; It is $226.10 down here:eek: and the 9800GT is $192.70:eek:

But why do some cards list their specs with just DVI and not HDMI, while others list both? Do I ignore that as long as it lists one or the other? I want to utilize the 1080p to the fullest, that's why I bought it!

They are different connections but the same standard just like rgb, d-sub component and others are different types of analogue signal with different connectors and methods of transfer. The dvi connection just send digital video whilst the hdmi combines audio with video they are physically different cables but you can but adapters to go between the two with little hassle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom