Need to figure out my dream build (gaming)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daddio

Baseband Member
I am trying to decide which case to go with.

Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case $109.?
Newegg.com - Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

610W Power Supply
Newegg.com - PC Power & Cooling S61EPS 610W Continuous @ 40°C EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

BIOSTAR TPower I45 LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
Tpower- P45 OC Record (E8400, FSB675MHz, CPU to 6.0GHz)
Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TPower I45 LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

G.SKILL PI Black 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
Newegg.com - G.SKILL PI Black 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

SAPPHIRE 100245L Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card
Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100245L Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

This is just a start of the machine I wish to build. I don't know which case to go with and I am not sure about these components.
Should I go with an i7 instead?

Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601920
Newegg.com - Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

ASUS P6T Deluxe LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard
Newegg.com - Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Thermaltake V1 Max-Performance CPU Cooler with Massive 110mm Blue LED Full-Range Variable Speed Fan Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition & Core i7 Ready LGA 1366 CL-P0401
Newegg.com - Thermaltake V1 Max-Performance CPU Cooler with Massive 110mm Blue LED Full-Range Variable Speed Fan Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition & Core i7 Ready LGA 1366 CL-P0401 - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

Thermaltake Toughpower 650W W0104RU ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire X Ready 80PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Intel Core i7 Ready Power Supply
Newegg.com - Thermaltake Toughpower 650W W0104RU ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire X Ready 80PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Intel Core i7 Ready Power Supply - Power Supplies

CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory
Newegg.com - CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Graphics? I don't know. Does it matter which case I go with? Should I attempt an i7 system of which I know nothing about?
I want to have fun building it and eventually end up with the primo gaming machine even if I don't have to play because I am delivering pizza's as a second job to pay for it.

I don't see the need to go i7 if your just gaming. If you do alot of multi-tasking and need a quad then by all means go i7 because the current price of 45nm core2quads are the same as a 920.

Is this a real pc plan or just a fantasy.
nvidia's 280's in sli beat the 4870's its just in single config that the 4870's rule. Also I would go quad core in a dream rig with Q9550 but if I7 gets involved I am really lost its too young for very good brands to show themselves

I don't see the need to go i7 if your just gaming. If you do alot of multi-tasking and need a quad then by all means go i7 because the current price of 45nm core2quads are the same as a 920.

Whenever I have built before I always seem to say I want this and this and then start cutting back and settling because of funds. I want to build the most awesome gaming machine. If I have to buy the case and then buy the motherboard and processor the next paycheck and then the graphics card the next paycheck and so forth I will. I don't want to skimp. I want to get up every morning and on the way to the coffee pot can't stop smiling because I just walked by that machine. I don't want to skimp but I also don't have an 8000 budget. I will take pics as I go. If I didn't plan on building this fantasy machine I wouldn't waste your time talking about it. I think I probably would be better building a hotrod gamer without i7. So Saltynay, Brother,,,,,,,I need to decide on a case.

I'm saying that a gaming machine can have either a quad or a duo. Whether you need the quad is up to you. But if it were me and I wanted a quad I would just go i7 because the q9550 is the same price as the i7 920. x58 boards range from $220 to $400. If you don't need a quad then go duo. The e8500 or e8600 will run 4.2-4.5 daily for you. An awesome gaming machine needs an awesome case. Lian Li or Silverstone. Do you want a full tower or mid?

Full tower Lian li/ silverstone has to be the main choice in my books or if you want to go more original but way less practical an isotope case.
Invasion Shop
iX_romantic_orchidee_600.jpg

I can't lead you through the site as its flash but if you click on the right picture then the left picture on the next page which says collectione it gives you there designs or you can make your own design. If you went with a IX case you would have to watercool there isn't enough space internally to use a really good aircooled hsf.

You would be better waiting until you have all the money and paying in one large go for your "ultimate" pc as tach prices are constantly falling and the new becomes the old in the space of a few months. Not to mention shipping charges will take a large chunk of your change if your buying bits and pieces here and there. The psu and case are the main things that you can buy now if you want something sitting in the corner to smile at but the rest of the components will change a lot. Once you have built it expect to swap out your graphics card every 4-5 months if you want to stay top of the game without losing money, as you get a closer price to your original purchase my gfx card is 2 years old and when I bought it it was £250 but I picked one up for sli a couple of months ago at £60 (secondhand) which is a better model then the one I originally purchased.

THIRDSHIFTDJ and SALTYNAY,
I have been looking for hours and I think I would like to start with this case and power supply unless you guys see any issues/problems.

LIAN LI PC-P80 Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case
Newegg.com - LIAN LI PC-P80 Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

LIAN LI PS-A650GB 650W ATX 12V V2.3 / EPS 12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply
Newegg.com - LIAN LI PS-A650GB 650W ATX 12V V2.3 / EPS 12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

I like the way the airflow is and the compartment setup.
I like the full tower.

What do you think? Whoa Dude. or WTF?

the pc-80 is a "hate it, or love it" case. I personally love it. If I had to choose right now I would pick this hands down
Newegg.com - LIAN LI PC-X500B Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
Haven't used a lian li psu but I'm sure they are quality like their other products. You could get this instead and save a few bucks and get some additional amps
Newegg.com - PC Power & Cooling S75QB 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI NVIDIA SLI Certified (Dual 8800 GTX and below) CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom