Is is necessary to buy a CPU cooler if you are going to overclock a little?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jester070993

In Runtime
I plan on building my new system soon and I want to overclock, but is it really necessary to buy a aftermarket cooler if I am just going to overclock a little, or can I just use the stock cooler one that comes with it? I am going to get an E7300.

Well I don't know how good a e7300 stock cooler is but I overclocked my old amdx2 2.0ghz to 2.8ghz on a stock cooler with no problems. So I would say it depends on the chip and how far you want to go. Thing is once you overclock your probably want to push it more because its easy and a higher clocked chip with a better cooler can run as cool or cooler than a lower clocked chip with a stock cooler.

Plus you can get some decent coolers cheap. I got my hsf for $2 after rebate :)

Better safe than sorry. Personally I would rather spend 10 dollars on the extra thermal paste and OEM fan then spend 50 - 100 dollars on a new processor because you fried it.

Better safe than sorry. Personally I would rather spend 10 dollars on the extra thermal paste and OEM fan then spend 50 - 100 dollars on a new processor because you fried it.

I agree. Plus the inconvenience of being out of a computer for a period of time. Always sucks!

Oh yeah ok, I will get one. Can you guys recommend me thermal paste and a fan that are together not over $20?

i dunno..i say if you don't move the voltage the default fan would be okay..considering the temps won't raise that much until you start to raise voltage

And Arctic Silver is one of the highest recommended pastes.Just don't go overboard with it. A spot the size of a BB or a matchhead spread evenly. Too much is as bad as none at all.

And Arctic Silver is one of the highest recommended pastes.Just don't go overboard with it. A spot the size of a BB or a matchhead spread evenly. Too much is as bad as none at all.

TX-2 is better and its cheaper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom