Memory+CPU OC Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tenenbaum

In Runtime
I have 2GB of not so good PATRIOT ram, it was supposed to be 4GB, but one stick was bad, and I never got a chance to send it back.

My q6600 runs a little hotter then what I have seen with the Xigamatek.

I recently ordered some PI Black G.Skill 4GB.
Will having, more and better memory, reduce the temperature of my OC'd CPU? (OC'd to 2.8)

I would imagine it did because it caused less stress on the CPU?

Not sure, just needed some verification.

Changing your memory will have no effect on your cpu. What kind of thermal paste are yo using? Also what is the airflow and cable management like in your case? If the airflow is bad then you will get poor temps no matter how good the cooler is.

I have a nzxt tempest case with a xigamtek 1283 and I used arctic silver 5.

I just re-did my cable management today and cleaned the case.
Q6600 at 2.8 and Prime95 running, I hit 56C Max? I think.

56c while running prime95 isn't badl for a quad. If you ever get more thermal paste I recommend Tuniq TX-2, it cools better than AS5, doesn't have a burn in period, and is a lot cheaper.

56c while running prime95 isn't badl for a quad. If you ever get more thermal paste I recommend Tuniq TX-2, it cools better than AS5, doesn't have a burn in period, and is a lot cheaper.
Could I put it to 3.0 or 3.2 then?
What is temperatures are the limit?

Appreciate it guys.

You don't want it to get above 60c for any extended period. If it hits that doing prime 95 and its overclocked that's ok. But for normal usage it should stay in the 40s if not 30s. What fan do you have on your xigmatek?

as long as you dont go much over 65°C in Prime95 or Intel Burn Test you'll be fine... you might consider getting a bit better fan for that thing to help improve cooling... also if you dont have any floppy drives installed, you could whack an 80 or 92mm fan in there and create a kinda wind tunnel thing over the CPU cooler... have a look at Silenx iExtrema fans on the Egg... i'd give you a link, but it doesnt wanna work for me for some reason

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom