Should I believe Dell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

3foot

Beta member
Sorry if I am out of place on this forum. I read other posts and realize how limited my knowledge is.

My last thread said 1066 MGz ram will clock down to 667 MGz and be OK?
Does ram automaticly down clock to the maximum a system can handle?
Dell said if I use 1066 MGz DDR2 instead of the 667 MGz recomended max, I will damaged my systm. Are they giving me crap?

The reason for my original question was, I read a part survey stating I needed to check mother board voltage capabilities before upgrade.

Will 1066 (Kensington heat shielded) run hotter than 667.
Is it better to return and get #4-1G 667 DDR2 SDRAM?

Are dual channel or Unbuffered of concern to me?
\Thanks, Den

800mhz for fact will be able to clock down to 667mhz. 1066mhz ram should be able to as well.

It doesn't really damage your system, because I've down clocked my ram too. If anything its over clocking your ram too high which causes damage to your system.

No point wasting money on RAM faster then the system allows. Also faster then 667mhz ram is only used for overclocking not real world performance gain, you cant overclock properlt because of a locked bios. I wouldn't damage your system though unless the voltage draw defaulted by the bios is to high because it doesnt recognise the sticks.

Dual channel is better then single sticksas they work together to increase productivity. You would be best telling us the computer model and the components within before we reccomend you methods to increase speed.

My computer currently is a dell Dimension XPS G4 -

1 T7082 PROCESSOR..., 80547, PENTIUM 4 PRESCOTT DT..., Pentium 4 Prescott DT, 3.4GHZ, 1 MEGB, 800FSB..., SKT-T, E0, MALE...

1 U7084 CARD (CIRCUIT)..., PLANAR (MOTHERBOARD)..., TRANSFORMER SKY DIVE MINITOWER..., XPS-G4, MID-LIFE KICKER...

2 W3768 DUAL IN-LINE MEMORY MODULE..., 512, 533M, 64X64, 8, 240, 1RX8

Hearing, "the voltage draw defaulted by the bios is to high because it doesnt recognise the sticks", has me concerned about using the 1066 MGz. in my system when they arrive from egghead.

Open packages cannot be credited (quad pack). When my 1066 ram arrives I will return. Even with 15% restocking I am money ahead buying 667 MGz ram

Thanks for all the help.
Den

If you already bought them, then keep them.

What he meant was that 800mhz ram is cheaper then 1066mhz ram. So it would make no sense as to why you would pay extra if your ram is going to be down clocked regardless.

I have contacted egghead and a return is set up. Everything is unopened therefore I will not incur any expense and save $30 after buying 667 MGz.

Is there another advantage to keeping the
Kingston HyperX 4GB (4 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066?

Is it of more possible use in a future system?

Is it possible that the 1066 MGz ram will run faster than the 667 MGz Dell
states as the maxinum speed allowable in my system?

Is sales the only reason Dell said 1066 would damage my system?

Den

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom