BSODing during Windows loading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inserity

Baseband Member
Hi all,

We bought my Mom a PC about 4 months ago (with an AMD X2) and it's been working wonderful ever since, until a few days ago.

She restarted her computer, probably due to a lockup, and when she logged into windows, a update popped up saying she should update her computer. She downloaded the update and restarted. Now it BSOD's while loading Windows. She doesn't know what update it was for and she said she's never seen it before... yeah.

So, suggestions would be helpful. I could boot into safe mode and I've scanned for viruses and spyware in another computer. I can get files out of it but I don't feel like transferring data and reformatting her computer.

Thanks.

Boot into safe mode and restore the system to a spot PRIOR to her installing the bogus update.

After you fix the issue make sure she has updated virus and spyware software that do weekly scans.

For spyware I would first educate. Then use Spybot S&D, while it doesn't have scheduled scans you can do it is pretty simple to explain that the software is something that should be run on a regular basis.

Once you do the restore, which should fix the issue, drop on Spybot and AVG, that's a good free security combo and I think AVG does a weekly scan. I'm assuming your mom's PC was store bought? Make sure to uninstall whatever Norton/Mcafee/etc. package was preinstalled on there, too. It may conflict with other av software and it hogs system resources anyways. I'd uninstall them before putting on the free stuff.

It's a Systemax from Tigerdirect. They did a good job not including a ton of excess junk. I have AVG installed though, and I usually use Ad-Aware, but I'll try Spybot.

Alright I restored it and it's back to working order. When I showed her the Windows Update popup she said that was it so it wasn't a virus. It must have downloaded/installed wrong or got corrupted. Thanks again. I didn't know how easy System Restore is! It creates new points almost every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom