New laptop HD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just ensure it is the same as your current hard drive (in terms of PATA or SATA). Other then that just make sure it is a laptop (2.5'') hard drive.

Do note that when you take the old drive out more than likely there will be an adapter on the old hard drive that allows it to interface with the laptop. If so you'll need to take that off and place it on the new hard drive.

Other than those two issues, laptop hard drive replacement is easlier than a drive replacement in a desktop IMO.

Thanks. In terms of keeping my data, there is a drive on my comp labeled "HP RECOVERY (D)" about 8 gb in size. Is this a separate HD I can copy my OS files onto the new HD with or part of the same one? Or, I guess there is a way to check that myself?

No, it is the same hard drive, just a separate partition. More than likely it is taken up by the recovery software/data anyways.

The HP recovery partition is to set the hard drive back to its original state (software, data, etc).

I would suggest burning all data to a new DVD/USB so that you can copy it back to the new hard drive after installation.

Ok, well I wanted to back up my data and do a clean install of the OS on the new HD, only problem is HP never sent me any OS discs with my laptop. Is this something they will fix easily (eg send me a disc) or am I better off avoiding a headache and just copying everything?

Depends on your situation. If you have a physical copy of your OS and software packages you use I would suggest just backing up your data and reformatting. Then install the software and restore the data.

If you have nothing you really have no choice but to contact the manf. for a resource CD which will have the OS and software on it. They usually can do this but it will cost you (usually around 10 - 20 bucks).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom