How much should I pay? Graphics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daddio

Baseband Member
How much do you guys think I should bid, max on this card?

BFG nVidia 7950GT OC 512MB PCI Express Video Card - NR - eBay (item 110318714501 end time Dec-02-08 15:52:26 PST)

considering 9.95 shipping.

Why a 7950? The 8800's are better and cheaper. So are the the 3870's, the 9600's... The card is already three generations behind the times.

Its also noisy as **** if I remember correctly and doesn't support hardware hd decoding so wouldn't be very good in a htpc which is the only reason a card of that age would warrant purchasing. If its secondhand its probably coming close to death or atleast artifacts most gpus tend to die around 5-6 years with fairly heavy use which is what you would expect with a serious gaming card (in its day) like the 7950

Trotter,
My wife bought one of these from Newegg for $449.
Newegg.com - CyberpowerPC Gamer Infinity 6320 Core 2 Duo E8400(3.00GHz) 4GB DDR2 250GB Intel GMA 3100 Windows Vista Home Premium 64-Bit - Desktop PCs
It has Intel's GMA 3100 On Board Graphics Max. Share Memory 256MB which should be good for her WOW and Guild Wars games to run. If I wanted to run any of the new first person shooters and such I think I'll need to upgrade the graphics.

I'm not sure about the GMA 3100 on board graphics so I was going the upgrade and plug in a graphics card right off the bat. My whole family games and if she wants to play any of the newer games I think she'll need it.

Some of the guys recommended I get this card and there is one on ebay for cheap.
As a matter of fact Nagasama found the one I was looking at for me. Helping me out you know.
10-20 bucks is not bad, but,
Thoughts, do you think I should go with a better card off the bat?

Seeking advice from Nagasama and Saltynay as well as Trotter

I would suggest you go for a better card off the bat.

Buying something such as
Newegg.com - HIS Hightech H485F512P Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Would really leave the computer at the advantage to run all games.
Not including max out all games, especially with the E8400.

Its suggested, and for what you require, this is all you'll ever need.
With technology rising very fast, and you have that video card (The 7950GT), I'm afraid you'll see a new and improved game and want to play it, but your video card will be insufficient to run it.
So that way, getting the 4850 will help with all the games you play now, and its decently future proof.

(Sorry I am not Trotter, but this is my input, I'd suggest waiting for them though)

I appreciate your input. I wish she would have just let me build her one. I guess she saw $449 and couldn't pass it up. She's a woman and thus an impatient one.

Be glad she didn't buy a dell or something from a local computer shop ;)

150 dollars for the 4850. any other thoughts, good bad or otherwise guys. I know how to install a graphics card but other than that I am no expert. I do want to get this computer best for games out of the box. I don't know why they put 3100 integrated for graphics on what's supposed to be a gaming computer. I guess that's why they selling it so cheap. anyone ever ran the Intel's GMA 3100 On Board Graphics Max. Share Memory 256MB?

If she would have waited she could have bout this one with a graphics card Nvidia's GeForce 9500 GT for $550.
Newegg.com - CyberpowerPC Gamer Infinity 6322 Core 2 Quad Q6600(2.40GHz) 4GB DDR2 250GB NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit - Desktop PCs

I'm doing damage control LMAO.

The computer she bought now + the 4850 will outrun the one you posted in gaming.
The 4850 is a great card, I run one on a 24" monitor and can max almost every game with the exception of a couple (And still I can run it pretty top notch).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom