Samba Questions - Can I use "test" as an acct? + Home Dir Mapping Question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
"Test" account question

I was testing some different permissions with Samba... so I set up a "test" account named test. I set up test the same way I did any other account, but test did not work. I set up identical accounts named "tester" and "test2" and they worked perfectly fine. But no matter how many times I got rid of test and re-configured it, "test" would not work.

Is there a reason why?

Home Dir Mapping Question

Somebody told me on the Ubuntu Forums about a tag I can put in the smb.conf to auto-route the logged in Samba users to their designated home folder automatically. That basically means instead of having 20 separate user sections in the smb.conf file, I can have 1, and it'll auto-route the users to their home directory. The variable for this is something like %S, or something of that nature.

My question is this. I run my main system off of a 500gb hard drive. I have to create local users on my system in order to have Samba communicate with the computer's users. This means the users will have their home directories on my 500gb hard drive. But that presents a problem. I want them to have their share directories on a spare hard drive I have in this computer simply FOR Samba... It's a 250gb hard drive, mounted through fstab to /media/storage.

It sounds like the variable I am speaking about will auto-route these users to my their home directory on my 500gb main drive. But my question is, does anybody know if I can set up the config file to point to /media/storage instead of the home directories? That way, the variable could pick the logged in user within /media/storage to give them access.

Example - Each user can only get into his/her own directory and nobody else's. Jason is logged in. Jason goes to his server share by going to \\ubuntucomputer @ start+run on their XP computer. Is it possible for Jason to be auto-routed to /media/storage/jason instead of jason's home directory on the main drive??

EDIT - I decided to edit this post versus making a new one since they're both Samba related. The thing I wanted to tack on here is kind of off topic from the above, actually. I just came across this Samba GUI utility that I find to be very easy to set up. It's in the repos, called "system-config-samba". It will be under System-Admin after it installs. It seems very easy to use and I can say I'm a big fan of that. I just wanted to let other users know so if you find editing the smb.conf file to be intimidating, here you go. This thing does the job for ya! Oh, and slightly back on topic, I used the Samba GUI to try my "test" account again, and again, it failed. So I'm starting to bet on users not having the ability to use "test" as a share. I don't know? I can't figure out any other explaination though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom