4850 x 2;
an i7 920;
on a p6t deluxe mobo;
with 2 x 2gb ddr3 1333 dual channel mem;
a xfi xtreme gamer sound card;
a 350gb hd;
with dvd burner & dvd player drives;

how big of a psu do i need?

kk ty i currently have a 650w psu since i bought have of my upgrades over summer and was gonna buy les expensive part like a quad core and a p5q pro but no that the i7's r out and all that i figured id might as well go for bleeding edge right lolz ty again

well i am prob gonna for now i am still a lil moneywise short on my second 4850... should i still get a better psu for right now or can i twait til i get my second 4850

do not mean to hijack but is a 550w sufficient for a 4870 or 4850?

The wattage isnt the major issue - the amperage is. That is more complex to work out. For a single 4870 and a quad core setup you should have a minimum of about 28-30A, but preferably more. To find out the amps supplied by the 12v rail(s) you will probably have to check the manufacturers website. If the psu has a single 12 rail, just look at the amperage under it. If there are multiple rails, find out the total wattage supplied to all the 12v rails and then divide that number by 12 to get the total amperage.

Many cheapo psu manufacturers only give maybe 300w out of 500w to the 12v rails...which is what the gpu will run off. This is where you can get into trouble as 300/12 is only 25 amps...

yep thats true pays to buy a good psu, look on the side and the amperage rating is on there, but if its over more than one rail then thats only the theoretical value, but its still around the same aperage. so youll need a decent mid 40A rating to run crossfire 4850's assuming u have 1hdd 1optical etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom