Thoughts on a build?

Status
Not open for further replies.

therascalking

Devious Techie
here it is, the millionth 'Advice on a Build' thread in the forums (i actually have no idea how many there are, just saying... haha)...

heres a build i plan on doing for my older brother for christmas... most of the parts are off the recommended PC components list, but please still let me know what you think or if you see any problems... thanks! :]

im giving him my processor from my first build for his CPU... so that one is non-negotiable... and he should be fine with the stock fan since he wont be overclocking (and at 3.0GHz, who really needs to? haha)
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ / Windsor / 3.0GHz / Socket AM2 / Dual-Core Processor with Fan
$FREE​
then im gonna pick him up this motherboard... it only has one PCI Express 2.0 x16 slot, but he wont be SLI/Crossfiring so thats all he needs...
GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-S2HP AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
$79.99​
slap it all inside this little case... its real similar to my NZXT Tempest, so im sure he will like it just as much as i like mine, but its a little smaller and simpler, which is right up his alley, going from a stock HP case... haha:
Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
$69.95​
with this added to pull air in the front to cool the HDD's and everything else:
AeroCool XtremeTurbine-Black 120mm Case Fan - Retail
$15.99​
and this as its DVD Burner:
LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model iHAS120-04 - OEM
$20.99​
he plays WoW and other RAM-intensive multiplayer games, so 4GB of this 800MHz should do him juuust fine... and its cheap... haha:
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ - Retail
$44.99
his current HDDs are both IDE, so i figured he could do with a decent SATA one:
Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

$69.99​
aaaand to round everything out, im giving him my old 8800GTS for his graphics card... its still a pretty solid card and should be fine for his system, letting him play alot of the newer games hes been missing out on with decent graphics settings... and i get a new 9800 GTX+... hehe:
EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS / 640MB GDDR3 / SLI Ready / PCI Express / Dual DVI / HDTV / HDCP Enabled / Video Card
$FREE​
oh and then to power it, im gonna put in an old power supply i have laying around from when i got my modular one... this thing:
Ultra X-Finity 600Watt Power Supply w/ Flex Force Cables – Titanium
$FREE​

let me know what yall thing or if you see any problems or anything im forgetting! thanks so much :D - RK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom