GTX 260 core 216 worth it to upgrade? 8800 GTX comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have reopened the thread at the request of the OP. Let's keep it on the straight and narrow, people.

There are no "magic bullets" on the market at tis time. Each new gen is a slight increase over the last, but nothing major. The 4xxx was a nice jump over the 3xxx, but the 260/280 is not that great of a move from the 9xxx, which was not a big bump from the 8xxx.

The discussion has been a good one, with great information exchanged. Let's let it keep being that way.

lets not get started with 7 to 8... now that.. was a jump

seriously! Back in the day when I planning on building a system I was going to chose a high end 7 series card and then i saw the 8 series cards benchmarks where a 8800 gtx could beat 2 7900s in SLI and it blew my mind, from then on thats when I decided SLI wasn't worth it.

To this day I still don't think SLI is worth it but additional reasons, mostly mobo issues and game compatability :p ( of course heat and energy consumptions issues ) I think technology is slowing down a bit :( although it seems like its getting cheaper

SLI is very worth it, just depends on which cards you get, what res you game at and pretty much every game since 2005 supports it.

For example the 9600GT's in SLI beat out an 8800 Ultra and were cheaper and used less power.

gtx280 is as good as 2 8800 ultras

but 1 8800gtx was better than 2 7900gtx's along with support of direct x 10 and a whole new architecture..

but honestly, i still the the gtx280 is an incredible card

i think with all these new driver releases the gtx 280 is about the same jump as 7900 to 8800 was

ya, he may get more frames... in SLi enabled games... but it will consume double the power of a gtx260.. now that just seems plain silly to do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom