I just got a WD 500 GB external, have some ?'s

Status
Not open for further replies.

rkf76

My Swag is on!
I picked up a WD My Book Office Edition 500gb external HD today from Staples for $48.25 OTD. I have read online that the software it comes with, which installs itself the first time the drive powers up, is only good for 30 days and that I'll need to get my own backup software after that. Is that true? I've read the box, read all the documentation, and I don't see anything about that. The only limitations I see are that you get 30 days of tech support from WD commencing from the first telephone contact you make with them. I also see that the MioNet small business tools are only free for a year. As for the backup software, I see no mention of any limitations to it.

Also, when I hook it up will it automatically backup my whole system or only what I tell it to backup? What if I don't want it to backup anything, instead just use it for storage, is that an option? Can I prevent it from installing unwanted software like the Google toolbar, Google desktop and Picasa?

To those of you with externals, how do you have it setup and why? Meaning did you do complete backups of your system or do you just use it to store certain files/programs/etc?

AFAIK,

backup software isn't trial ware

mionet is

when you hook it up. the software will PROMPT you to install all those goodies, just like a cd/dvd would

if you DO NOT WANT it, just close it, format drive (most likely already formatted) and use.

When the software installed did it have a EULA? If so then at the top of that there is usually a section saying that the EULA is the entire agreement and that it replaces any other agreement (or something to that effect). So in theory as long as you have read through, understood and comply with that license I don't see that you should have any problems.

AFAIK,

backup software isn't trial ware

when you hook it up. the software will PROMPT you to install all those goodies, just like a cd/dvd would

if you DO NOT WANT it, just close it, format drive (most likely already formatted) and use.
Here's a SS of the backup software when I attempted to close it for the first time.

wd11.jpg

However, when I was registering with WD I was looking around in the FAQ and knowledge base in regards to this issue and found this....

wd14.jpg

So I pulled out the installation guide that I had already read and followed and found the sticker with the key making the software a full version.

For my home computer I have never used the backup programs that come with the disk. I have never liked the backup files that are created by the software. I like to see my files on the drive and pull out what I need when I need it. You can either do it manually or write an xcopy batch file for incremental on the specific folders you want backed up. Now for companies I usually use symantec backup exec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom