Computer Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoubleL

Solid State Member
I am wanting to build my first computer. I have only bought Dell's in the past and after some research and a few friends having their own built, I am interested in building my own. I am willing to spend $600-800 on it. This is not going to be a gaming pc. Will be used mainly for blackboarding in college and general internet browsing. Would like it to be fast and able to multitask. Can you guys build me one? I have been looking at new egg and don't know where to start. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

The Q6600 is that fast especially with the latest and I doubt the Original Poster is an overclocker having being used dells which have locked bioses normally.

Get this processor instead it will be alot faster even though its dual core instead of quad
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
If your intrigued by overclocking and think it may be nice to be able to have a faster pc without spending extra money then the E8300 would be better.

This compound is better then arctic silver
Newegg.com - Tuniq TX-2 Cooling Thermal Compound - Thermal Compound / Grease

Personally don't like that case as its ugly and your the one whom has to live with it if you find a case that you like post back here and we will go through the nitty details and tell you if its good enough.

Just pick up an E8400 for $150

not if he isn't going to overclock then he may aswell pay more for the stock clock, we are enthusiasts I assume this is someone who wants a no fuss computing experience hence why he went with a ready made dell. Even though going with a dell greatly reduced his cashflow and potential for best performance per buck

Yeah I know nothing of overclocking. I am a beginner in this and I bought the Dell just to get on the internet. So which case you guys think i should go with?

well you said you like to multi task so the q6600 is a better choice then the e8500. but both will be fine. the diff would only be seen in games.

not if he isn't going to overclock then he may aswell pay more for the stock clock, we are enthusiasts I assume this is someone who wants a no fuss computing experience hence why he went with a ready made dell. Even though going with a dell greatly reduced his cashflow and potential for best performance per buck

your going to pay $30 more for 3.16ghz compared to 3.00ghz??? Okay that sounds like a good idea :rolleyes:

So which case should i buy? And on the MOBO, it says 4x240 pin. Does this mean I can put 4-2gig memory cards in it? Sorry for being so ignorant but I am wanting to learn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom