Graphics card overheating. Will it affect my other parts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stainer711

In Runtime
I just noticed that my x1900xt is reaching 105 degrees C under load. I'm going to lay off gaming until I get my hd4850, but I'm worried that I may have already caused damage to the mobo or something. Do overheating graphics cards somehow affect the mobo or anything else when they generate too much heat? My processor is only getting up to 41C load. I think my graphics card is overheating because it is not aligned to the heatsink properly.

It won't affect any other parts until it combusts of course. 105C is far too hot no matter what card it is. Make sure the fan is running on it and at 100%. Also make sure nothing is blocking the air getting to it and that you have good ventilation running through the case.

I just did. It's now running at 95 degrees.

It doesn't get above 78 when playing WOW or CS:S. It only breaks the 100C barrier when ATI tools does the artifact finder.

That's still way too hot. WoW is barely a taxing game. You can still play games until you have your new card.

When you blew the dust out, did you remove the card? On my old X1950XT, which used a similar cooler, the dust would build up at the back of the card like a wall. Once that happened it would run 80-90C, but once cleaned it didn't go over 60C until the dust built up again.

Use Rivatuner to set fan speed to fixed 100%. Those were pretty nice stock coolers, it shouldn't be getting that hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom