DDR3 Memory: Technology Explained - by benchmarkreviews

Status
Not open for further replies.
amdroad.jpg

Why do the two graphs contradict? Both are from AMD. One claims that Deneb "AM2+" Version works with DDR2 and DDR3. So I don't see how the other one states that 940 is just for AM2+ boards. Unless there are AM2+ boards with DDR3 ram support.

phen23iy6.jpg

Oh well even if Deneb is AM2+ only. At least there should be good boards out by the time I decide to upgrade.

Deneb AM3 chips will work in AM2+ socket Print E-mail
Written by Fuad Abazovic
Wednesday, 02 July 2008 09:48

phenom_logo.jpg

One chip for all

AMD managed to pull one small miracle. The first 45nm native quad-core from AMD labs, codenamed Deneb and Deneb FX, will be native socket AM3.

However, AM3 will have an identical pin out as socket AM2+ (Socket 940) and if you plug Deneb in Socket AM2 it will work as a DDR2 chip, and if you plug it in socket AM3 it will work as DDR3.

This will be very convenient, as it will make transition easier. This will be the first time after many years that AMD has decided to make an easily upgradeable CPU environment. In the past when AMD changed the memory support that would mean a new motherboard and a new CPU but this time moving to DDR3 will require a new motherboard, but the same CPU will work in your old DDR2 socket AM2+ board and the new DDR3.

The timing makes sense, as AMD needs to make Deneb (and later Propus) as sexy as it possibly can, as this much delayed chip will have some nasty competition in the guise of Yorkfield and Nehalem to fight. Sometimes working under pressure of fearsome competition results in a pleasant surprise such as this one.

Fudzilla - Deneb AM3 chips will work in AM2+ socket

So I was right, even the first Deneb chips are AM3. Which means there really is no difference between the 940 and the 945?

I thought they were supposed to be backwards compatible
The AM3 CPU's are backwards compatible with AM2/AM2+, but AM2/AM2+ chips are not forwards compatible with AM3.

1) AM3 chips work in AM3, AM2+ and AM2
2) AM2+ chips work in AM2+ and AM2
3) AM2 chips work in AM2+ and AM2

2 and 3) if either the CPU or board is AM2 (not AM2+), it just uses regular AM2 standards.

also,
* on Jan 8/9 (whichever it is) Deneb will be released as two AM2+ versions and several AM3 versions

* the AM2+ Deneb's will have up to 125W TDP's, and AM3 Deneb's will have up to 95W TDP's (though actual power draw of either should be significantly less than TDP)

* the AM2+ Deneb's are the 920 and 940 (9*0 = AM2+, 9*5 = AM3)

* Of the chips that will be released in Jan 8/9, only the 940 will be unlocked.

* the 945 (AM3) will probably be unlocked, but releases later (I've heard February)

Nobody bothered to look at the date of the thread? Six months is a pretty good necropost, especially concerning upcoming tech (hence why we don't allow them). However, since it has picked up where it left off, I will leave it open.

Just look at the dates before you start posting in an older thread, kapish?

yes it is, most people still don't really realise that DDR3 is just around the corner.

Nobody bothered to look at the date of the thread? Six months is a pretty good necropost, especially concerning upcoming tech (hence why we don't allow them). However, since it has picked up where it left off, I will leave it open.

Just look at the dates before you start posting in an older thread, kapish?

no offense...but if it's a sticky we should be allowed to post...especially in this case since it's kinda updating it

yes it is, most people still don't really realise that DDR3 is just around the corner.
It will become a standard and eventually replace DDR2, but it's not really there yet.
It still needs to become more competitive on cost, as well as having descent, affordable DDR3 boards (AMD doesn't have AM3 boards yet, and I'm not sure how many mainstream or low-end Intel boards use DDR3)

(AMD doesn't have AM3 boards yet, and I'm not sure how many mainstream or low-end Intel boards use DDR3)

does intel even have any? I know there are a few boards that do ddr2 and ddr3..but most of those are junk. and then the higher end ones that use ddr3 like 790i.

But I think once amd has AM3 out,each company has a few lower end boards that use it, and when the prices come down some more it'll be mainstream.

does intel even have any?
For socket 775, there are a few. Though without an IMC, Core 2 doesn't benifit much at all from it. And the board selection isn't that great for DDR3 unless you're going for high-end parts.
So DDR2 is still the best choice for socket 775, and in all likelihood will be until the end of its life.

I think that Nehalem's release was in a way not well timed, because of DDR3. Right now, it isn't really practical to release a new architecture with an IMC (Intel's first) and use DDR2, because DDR3 is fairly close to being practical, and will replace DDR2 eventually. But at the same time, DDR3 still isn't quite practical for mainstream users yet.
I know there are a few boards that do ddr2 and ddr3..but most of those are junk. and then the higher end ones that use ddr3 like 790i.
Yeah, that's kinda what I mean. They're either high-end, or just not very good.
But I think once amd has AM3 out,each company has a few lower end boards that use it, and when the prices come down some more it'll be mainstream.
Well I think AMD planned the transition to DDR3 pretty well. They're waiting until it's really practical, and when it's priced well. Which isn't too far away, but isn't really there yet.
That, and you have more flexibility for upgrading (you can get an AM3 CPU, but stay with DDR2/AM2+ for a while)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom