about blank

Status
Not open for further replies.

bunny4u

Beta member
Anybody knows how to get rid of about:blank I have downloaded and ran adaware and other virus things and still cannot get rid of it I am new to computer tec and really could use some help here Thanks

you mean, about:blank as the homepage?

thats the default, right?

just go to "tools, internet options, homepage"

bunny4u said:
Anybody knows how to get rid of about:blank I have downloaded and ran adaware and other virus things and still cannot get rid of it I am new to computer tec and really could use some help here Thanks

download Hijack This. put it in a folder you created for it. run it,post the results in the software forum. But also try Spybot and spy sweeper first.

about:blank isn't a virus, or a spyware program or anything, it is merely a command to display a blank page within Internet Explorer.

TMT. :cool:

Here's the problem - Internet Explorer seems to have decided that the home page About:blank is what will greet you every time you open a new browser window. You try to change it back but either your Internet Options are greyed out or you change the page back, only to find next time you start Internet Explorer the dreaded About:blank has returned.

There are many possible causes for this behaviour and most are evil. One possible cause is a virus, but this is not very common. The most likely culprit is an adware/browser hijack program - in particular, CoolWebSearch.

The symptom that identifies the CoolWebSearch or a close variation is that About:Blank appears as the address, but in the background a window pops up stating that spyware, adware or something similar has been found on your system. CoolWebSearch is a browser hijack program - it that takes over your page, and keeps changing it back. It's purpose is to show you advertising, or flog you an over-priced piece of software to fix the issue CoolWebSearch has created. The About:Blank change is a trick designed to confuse users - regrettably, it is very successful!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom