Is this gonna be a fast build? Lemme know what you think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
the problem is i already have an 8800GT so spending 90-110 to get the other....instead of 260.....

also i am not so sure on the new i7, alot of people said the E8600 was but i waited for the Q9550 to drop a little.....

isnt the Q9550 fast as ****? and is the i7 as fast as the core2extreme?

overall would the i7 with 3 gb ddr3 be a **** of a lot faster than Q9550 with 4 gb ddr2 or maybe 8gb ddr2?

the i7, when OCed, will eat up every CPU that has ever lived before it... then spit it out and eat it again just for fun... there's no better value for money these days... a core i7 920 will OC just as well as any standard yorkie and perform as well as the qx9650 when both of them are OCed to the maxxx on air or water... the only thing other CPUs have on the i7s is raw clock speed... and it takes some extreme solutions to get there...

the core i7 is as a CPU the epitome of value... but with the price of ddr3 and x58 mobos, it can get a bit expensive... still, far cheaper than any equal system from last generation

EDIT: just sell your old stuff and upgrade the mobo, cpu and ram... keep everything else

RAM -> Newegg.com - G.SKILL 3GB (3 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

CPU -> Newegg.com - Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Mobo -> Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

= $763.97 before shipping... i know it seems like alot, but if you've got old stuff to sell then you can pretty well pay for 3/4 of it

the q9550 is a quality processor and so is the e8600... they both pale in comparison to the i7, but if you dont wanna spend all the cash on DDR3 and an x58 board, they're great picks... it really depends what you wanna use it for... the 8600 will achieve higher clock speeds because if the higher multiplier and, being a dual core, ability to achieve higher FSBs with stability... this high clock speed is great for single and dual threaded apps and games (which is still almost everything)... the q9550 is better for heavy multitasking, video editting, complex mathematics, encryption, compression and other multi threaded things... the q9550 will be more future proof, as nehalem will bring forth many more multi threaded apps and games

speed is limited by cache, but only at an asymptote value determined by cache bandwidth as a function of clock speed... so in short, not at normal speeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom